Could you morally do this?

A few weeks ago, a few co-workers for a local city won the Mega Millions jackpot at $200 plus million. Apparently, there are 4 employees who played in their pool all the time, but were not at work the day the winning ticket was bought. Now, these 4 employees are suing the others who won for something like $14 million.

Morally, I think it's wrong and don't know that I could do that, despite being financially strapped and, hey, who wouldn't want to win big, right? But, my morals and upbringing tell me it's wrong to do. I'd be happy for my co-workers to see someone I know come into big money after working hard all their lives.

How would you handle this situation? If you missed putting your $1 into a pool the week the numbers hit, while it would be very understandable of being totally bummed, would you sue?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• The lottery is a scam anyway. You don't get all that money, they tax it.

They can't sue, that just sounds stupid, they didn't help pay for the ticket that week, right? So that's they're fault they missed out.
    Anonymous

• These people CLAIM they had an oral agreement that if this little "pool" ever hit (apparently they played in a pool all the time), then they would split the winnings. So, they're trying to get them on some verbal agreement, which is really hard to prove in court, anyhow. The lawsuit has been filed already and the proceedings are going full force. Sad, isn't it?
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My hubby's cousin won 680,00. They tax close to 100,000.They make you wait about a month to get it. It is not a scam. Hey, whatever works for them.
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• MONHOLLENMOM... that is an absolute horrible thing to say. People like you make me sick.

But, an oral agreement really does nothing in court, like the anon said, it really is their fault they didn't play that week.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I wouldnt sue. I missed the boat, my loss. Has nothing to do with those who did put in the money and won.

Its assenine to think they could win anything when they just missed donating. Not like the others snuck around to make sure some missed out. GEEZ, greedy and obnoxious group there.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Monhollenmom... I think your "hopes" against these people are terrible. My husband is battling cancer right now and we've exhausted our insurance and put ourselves in dire straits financially to save his life. I wouldn't wish something like that on my worst enemy. It is quite apparent that you have no morals whatsoever.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• This happened 30 miles away from me. Yea, they are suing because they were off the day the people bought a ticket... NO, I would NOT do that to anyone. If I wanted to put my $1 in, then it is my responsibility to drive my butt to the office on my day off and put my dollar in.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• That is dumb. If they werent at work then they didnt play. They sound like sore losers to me.

Answer by gemgem at 1:07 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Answered at 1:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 by: grlygrlz2
    This happened 30 miles away from me. Yea, they are suing because they were off the day the people bought a ticket... NO, I would NOT do that to anyone. If I wanted to put my $1 in, then it is my responsibility to drive my butt to the office on my day off and put my dollar in.

Or, make sure they had my dollar before I took the day off!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If they didn't put their money in, they they are SOL. Now, if they had put their money in, and just weren't there that day, that would be different. People are greedy anymore. Any chance to get free money, they're all over it. I could never sue over something like that. I see people all the time, wanting to sue b/c they trip over a wrinkle in the carpet at the store, or b/c someone looks at them funny, and it just disgusts me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:11 PM on Dec. 24, 2008