• In the Spotlight:

Do you believe in spanking?

What is your form of disciplinary action for when your child misbehaves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yep my kids get one if they misbehave and I can also take my kids out in public without to much trouble... i see the kids that dont get a swat on the butt and they are out of control
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes, when nothing else has worked then I will spank.

I also use time out and taking stuff away.

I have 3 children, 2 of them are old enough to be disciplined for doing wrong....but they are different people so the same things dont work for one that might on the other,etc.

I also explain why they are being punished,etc. Lots of talking happens before, during, after.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• We spank as a last resort when all else has failed or a first reaction to any behavior that could cause them bodily harm. Our children are ussually warned first and corrected. If they continue to misbehave timeouts are given and if thru a timeout the behavior continues they get a swat on the butt.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My kids get discipline with a belt for disobedience and disrespect. They are really well behaved 99% of the time and don't need lashes but they will have them if they don't follow the rules.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• We have a "naughty mat" they have to sit on for most stuff. Disrespect or doing something that could endager is an automatic spanking.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Nope, no spankings at my house. I was raised without being spanked and turned out just fine. Instead I try to get down on my childrens level and talk to them. They get time out, grounded, toys taken from them etc. I dont think its right to spank a child unless there is no alternative left. I just havent reached a point of no alternative.

Answer by gemgem at 1:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My daughter isn't here yet, but I don't support spanking for her. If that's what works for other people, more power to them. But I plan on using alternate forms of discipline. One swat on the butt or hand is all I want to do, I was beaten as a child and I have horrible memories from it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I spank my daughter when her behavior warrants it. Usually if IMMEDIATE punishment is necessary (i.e. they are endangering themselves or the behavior is absolutely insane or something). For the most part, my daughter could care less if she is spanked though...SHE responds to being put in the corner best...it is miserable for her to be out of the action. When I was growing up, getting spanked was the worst most horrible punishment to me...so it worked for me...even the threat of it. You've just got to do what works for the child.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• A swat is a way to wake a child up and make them aware (we are of course talking about 4 and 5-year-olds - younger than that they haven't any control over their actions anyway. If their attention is caught by something they see someone else doing or by a fascinating thing, then they are helpless to stop themselves from imitating what they see or from reaching for something which has caught their eye. Punishing someone younger than 4 or 5 for doing something they're being told not to do is like punishing them for blinking or for burping) ... ANYWAY - for children older than 4 or 5, a quick swat is useful if you have rambunctious kids. It is short and sweet, to the point, and more importantly it is over and done with. No squirming under the lingering shame and disapproval of a time out. A swat on the bottom and we all go cheerfully on our way.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Two of my kids needed spankings (they were boys and 18 months apart, they were so intent on their play together that I suspect my voice was merely a distant noise to them and they often ignored me while heading for something really dangerous - so I had to do something physical to arrest their attention); the third (a girl) was only swatted on the bottom a couple of times. ... I don't like the practice of spanking to make the child cry, or of hitting anywhere but on the bottom. ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2008