I caught a cold...What can I take?

I lost my list of meds that are approved for pregnant women to take. Anyone know what I can take for a common cold?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 1:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed - not PE) is fine for congestion, and diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and chlorpheniramine (Chlortrimeton) are good antihistamines for a runny nose and the like. If you have a cough, guaifenesin (Robitussin - no CF or DM, just the plain tussin) is ok to take, but don't take any antihistamines with it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:53 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• After the first trimester you can take any tylenol product.

Answer by gemgem at 1:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Sudafed is okay as long as you buy the behind-the-counter version. The ones you can buy without a license have phenylephrine in them, and that's not good for pregnant women. The behind-the-counter version is just pseudoephedrine, we can take that. I took plain Sudafed for about two months during this pregnancy, and my baby and I are just fine.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:25 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• careful with Sudafed...it makes my heart race for about 2-3 hours after I take it.
    Anonymous

• I took Sudafed when I was pregnant. My son has no ill effects due to it.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2008