is it normal for a breastfed baby to not be ready for solids at 7 months old?

I've been trying all kinds of solid foods since my son was about 5 1/2 months old. I tried the rice cereal a couple times at that time and he didn't seem to like it so much. Then I waited till he was six months old to try again. I tried sweet potatoes and other veggies. I tried a couple fruits too. I waited four days in between introductions. Each new food he has tried he's only taken a taste of and then doesn't want it anymore. He nurses every two hours. I've tried holding off on a feeding, but he's usually really tired by that time and just wants to nurse and nap. I don't know if he's just not ready for solids or if I'm going about this all wrong. Any advice would help.

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At this point, you should be consistently giving him solids... he'll get the hang of it. I only gave mine "dinner" at first, usually sweet potatoes or carrots. I did that before I nursed her at bedtime. That way, she was hungry enough to eat some (not too much of course or your poor boobs could explode before morning!)
    Good luck. But don't worry, our pediatrician said I could nurse her exclusively til she was one if I wanted.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes, this is normal! Keep offering solids but don't push it. Some babies refuse to be spoon fed and don't eat solids until they can feed themselves. From http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html
    "Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more. Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern."
    Lots of really good info at http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    Always nurse BEFORE offering solids. Baby will take solids when they are ready, not when they get "hungry enough". Human milk remains the single most important food in your baby's diet until his first birthday.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding exclusively with no additional food for at least the first 6 months. If your baby isn't ready, I'd just say he isn't quite ready. Might ask your pediatrician if you're worried.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• MOST babies aren't ready for solids until AFTER a year - breastfed or not.

Moms just give their babies solids before a year because they are bored. But until babies are running around, playing hard, and really burning those calories, there is no nutritional reason to give them solids before a year old.. And yes, while your baby might be crawling, even walking, and getting into stuff- believe me, it's not the kind of work out that NEEDS solids. Your breastmilk will be just fine.

You may even find that at 18 months old your baby is just STARTING to wean on the number of breastfeedings a day and taking more solids..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• (BTW- don't listen to advice that suggests your baby will "get the hang of it".. There is no reason to force solids on your child- when your child is READY, s/he will not need to "get the hang of it" s/he will be eager to try them, and have the coordination to attempt to eat them him/herself.)
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Breastmilk is all your baby needs for the first year. If your baby isn't ready, he isn't ready. He's not going to starve and he will eventually eat solids. :) Don't stress. Keep offering, and when he's ready he'll eat. I didn't offer my son solids until he was 8 months and even then he wasn't quite ready for them. Now at almost a year he eats like a champ.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:09 PM on Dec. 24, 2008