• In the Spotlight:

what is the right thing to do if your neighbours who are well often want to borrow your brand new hard earned new snowblower. Reply will be appreciated

Our neighbours always boost about the fact they because he is a minister they get everything done in and around the house for free, they have 2 adult sons but that does not stop them from asking my husband to borrow our brand new snowblower that took us a while to save up for in order to buy. Our neighbour's enjoy 4 incomes while I have recently been layed off so were down to 1 income and have 3 children. Do we owe them to clean their snow away? they already have other neighbours cutting the grass and doing other chores for them. They have never done anything for us for the record but were do you draw the line? There used to getting everything for free.....big problem as we dont want to make them our enemy. Your input is appreciated.

tictactoe99

Asked by tictactoe99 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I agree with ErinMarie123 100%. Just because his job description may have some authority, doesn't put them above anyone else! Your family worked hard to save for the snowblower, why chance someone else ruining it and maybe not helping to replace the broken? Sounds like they have plenty of others they can call on. Seriously though...4 incomes and they can't afford their own machine? Helping out once in a while is one thing, being taken advantage of is another. Personally, I would just refrain from lending anymore and if he's really a minister, he'll be understanding and forgiving if he didn't like your response.
    Anonymous

• If they're borrowing it and you're not using it or doing it for them then I don't see the problem with it. I would tell them that they need to pitch in on gas.
    Anonymous

• If you are close with them I would tell them how you feel. My husbands friend is married to a girl who when they talked about going in on a powerwasher, she said "I don't like to share toys". Thought it was strange, but at the same time respected her opinion.
    Anonymous

• That is a sticky situation. Really? Everyone does their work for them? That's odd and bothersome. I have to say though, that I would let them borrow the snow blower, especially if you like them and think they're good people.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 1:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• First, it's gonna wear out the part's faster if your using it on them too! And ya, the gas isn't free either. I think it's lazy and selfish of them to be asking, without giving something in return...look out for you and your's, tell them you had no idea the cost of gas to run it was so much, and also..a small white lie won't hurt either, tell them the belt broke in it, and you you had to doll out quite a bit for that as well, I'm sure they will catch on!! My father does the neighbor's drive-way's every winter, but his paid for half the blower, and still also gives my dad a case or beer...or money lol, when he does his drive-way for him. Same with the guy across the street, he gives money too. 10 buck's is good for doing an entire drive-way, and as for the use and gas...you have to speak up if your hubby's not actually doing the pushing for them.
    Anonymous

• If theyre borrowing it and doing the work whats the problem? Its the neighborly thing to do and you never know when you might need to ask them for a favor. I always try and be kind to my neighbors. I also dont see why its an issue that theyre better of then you are? What does that have to do with being a good neighbor? Is it because they have people from their congregation help them and you feel that you should get things for free too? Im not getting the problem?
    Anonymous

• this IS a tough situation, if it breaks, that would be the tell tale signof a good neighbor, if they offer to pay for repairs, then they are truly good nighbors. Have they yet offered you gas money? its a bit selfish if they either didnt offer you money or put thier own gas into it upon return. And i also think that borrowing something over and over is a bit much, Once i can see, or if thiers broke or the plow man was late and they need to get the driveway done. After a couple of times or if thiers broke, i think they are using your kindness to thier own advantage. If they are used to geting thier way, then this just fits in to the picture. I would stop them from borrowing it.
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 2:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• We share with our neighbors all the time, but they also share with us, too. My husband actually does all of the mowing, snow removal, weed whacking, etc., and our neighbors pay for the gas & share the maintenance & repair costs. It's a win-win: they get the work needed done, we don't have to worry about someone else breaking our equipment or about gas & parts from so much use. Perhaps you can work out something similar? You could ask them to pay for the gas to do their own driveway & to agree to share the cost of repairs & maintenance from the extra use. It is a fair & reasonable offer, and if they don't like it, then they can get their own snowblower.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I would just explain that you had to save up for it and don't feel comfortable lending it out to anyone, neighbor/minister or not.

What if one of your children (assuming they are old enough) asks if they would like to hire him/her to clean off their driveway? You could always say you are teaching your kids how to be responsible with money and this is one way they can make their own money in the winter.

Seriously, that work irk the crap out of me. People have some nerve. I hope it works out without too much hassle for you. :-/
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• To each their own. I use to lend and have been burned many times. But the worst was when we let a friend barrow my car. She had need some thing to take her baby back and forth, I paid the insurance, and she kept it longer then a week. Then she totaled it sued my insurnce then I ended up getting nothing out of it and no car. I felt bad for the baby but now i dont ever lend any thing. I tell people Sorry but no. Most leave it at that others ask why and I explain it. DONT FEEL GUILTY about saying NO.
    TLC4theworld

Answer by TLC4theworld at 9:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2008