How long can a baby go without milk?

My son is 7 months old and breastfed.Refuses to take a bottle no matter what is in it. He has an upper respitory cold currently. Today he is spending the day with his father. Normally he is there for about 5 to 6 hours. But today they are keeping him about 10. I'm worried about his milk intake. He usually has milk between lunch and dinner but sometimes he just wants milk. He does eat baby food 3 times a day but since he is sick he doesn't really want any. Will he be okay going 10 hours with no milk? His pediatrician said he needs 12 t0 22 ounces a day. I can't get his father or grandmother to understand that he needs his milk. I think they are thinking that making him drink a sip of juice is enough. With him sick like he is doesn't he need the milk even more now? Should I be worried at all or calling his father to hash this out?

mommyChelC

Asked by mommyChelC at 2:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He'll be ok for a day. If he's hungry enough he will eat something. All thats' important is that he gets some fluids...you can breastfeed when he gets home
    Anonymous

• I disagree. Especially since he is sick, it is SO VERY important to keep him hydrated. This happened to my son. He went about 12 hours without nursing/bottle when he was a bit younger than yours and he ended up in the hospital ER on an I.V. Something that works for us if he doesn't nurse or take it from a bottle is a syringe. It takes a while but if you can syringe it into his mouth. That way, he doesn't have to suck it which may be causing him a little discomfort. It is very important to keep an eye on his fontanel to make sure it doesn't sink in (sign of hydration) and make sure he doesn't get very lethargic (another poss. sign). But seriously, the syringe has been a lifesaver for us in similar circumstances. Good luck
    Anonymous

• He needs to be hydrated, especially when sick. I really think he needs to be drinking and not juice. Babies this age should still be getting most of their calories from breastmilk or formula!!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• It's not so much the milk he needs. It's the FLUID. He can go less than a day without fluids. If he won't take milk, have them try pedialyte. This is CRITICAL. It does not matter if he eats any food. It does not matter if he drinks any milk. But he MUST take in fluids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• And don't worry about his calorie intact. This is what baby fat is for. He can go several days without eating - just like you can. But he can't go very long without fluids - just like you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I would be fighting the father on this.
    A breastfed baby should never be denied breast. There is no reason to put a child on a bottle, and he should be working his visits with his child out around feeding times.
    Being sick especially, (but also, in general: sick or not), I would not be starving a child until it is hungry enough to finally accept a bottle, or solids. That is what I would consider child abuse, and I would throw that at any court who would suggest otherwise. How in the world is that in the child's best interest?!?!?!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My son is almost 6 months and won't take a bottle either, but we've found that he's actually pretty good with a cup. Not a sippy cup, a regular one (with some help and a bib of course :D ) I would give that a try.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 3:08 AM on Dec. 25, 2008