When we go on vacation with our 18 mo old and 5 yr old, we can't afford to get adjoining rooms in a hotel. But it's horrible with us all sleeping in one room. Any suggestions?

raynaandlilah

Asked by raynaandlilah at 2:07 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Travel

• Try staying at one of the suite hotels. They have a sitting/kitchen area and a bedroom area. that way the kids can fall asleep in the bedroom, area and you can be awake in the other area. Staybridge Suties, Springhill Suites, Embassy Suites, Comfort Suites, etc. PLUS you have a kitchen so you can save a ton of $$$ by having breakfast in and taking a lunch with you.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 2:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I would never put my 5 year old and 1 year old in an adjoining room. I would just get 2 beds.
    Anonymous

• This isn't a fool proof suggestion, but may make it easier or more bearable. My 3 kids never slept as well in a hotel than at home (they do ok now that they're older), but...

We try to keep their bed time routine as close to possible as what it is at home. We may get in later than bedtime or be on a slightly different schedule, but I try to do bedtime snacks, baths, pjs, brushing teeth, etc. in the same order. We take any "loveys" that might help. I also take the night light from their room that they are used to.

And I always take a fan to drown out noise (white noise machine would work well, too). This was when someone stirs it's not so loud that everyone's awake!

Good luck!!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• We hated it too, then we joined a vacation club and now we only stay in condo's. There are several vacation clubs out there and most are less expensive then Disney Vacation Club. The one we belong to is BlueGreen. We LOVE it! Now when we go to Disney, we stay in a 2 bedroom condo and its real close to Disney, Sea World, Universal, etc. They also have resorts all over the place that are popular vacation destinations.
    We also do all the things that SahmTam said to do.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• We either stay in condos or studios. If we do stay in a hotel we have travel cots for the kids and they are so used to them now they want to go to bed. We keep bed time routine the same and it works pretty well.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 4:00 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Get a room with two beds.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• Just found this out- Holiday Inn Express (and I'm sure Holiday Inn) has this thing called a "family suite". It's not any more expensive then the standard room, but it offers a second room with bunk beds in it so the kids can have their own space, and mom and dad can get some quiet!!!!

We did this in Seattle, put the older kid on top and the younger one on the bottom. It worked GREAT. You can't beat it!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 8:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2009

• They have that same type of room in Sunspree Holiday resort in Orlando that Livnhevn was talking about. We let our 4 yr old on the bottom bunk, our 14 month old slept in the playpen that easily fit in the kid area.
    krazeerosie

Answer by krazeerosie at 11:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2009

• Look for hotels that have the childrens beds or kids rooms. I know they have them i have seen them, lol. it is a little room with like 2 bunkbeds in them.
    Angela_1974

Answer by Angela_1974 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2009