Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it right to ask the kids father for more money even if i receive child support

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in About CafeMom

Answers (6)
  • Depends on how much you get. I doubt he'll give it to you. If you feel he makes more then go get it revised. One son I get $50 a month for and have no problem asking him for more...the other I get over $1000 a month for and don't think I need more

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • If you do it because you need it go for it, but some woman do it just because they are not happy in their present lives and see that the exhusband moved on and is living a happy life.
    Don't be a witch just to be one, be considerate. If what you are receiveing is not suffiecient enough talk to him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • Depends on what its for. My older kids dad and I get along well enough that when certain things come up I dont want to take out of child supp I will ask if he wants to split the cost. For instance we decided to home school one of our kids. The cost for the curriculum and what not was $1200 and we split that. We have also split costs for back to school clothes, shoes and things like that. I think that if theres a need that directly has to do with the kids & you have a decent relationship with the ex then its ok to ask. If there is alot of animosity then I would probably not suggest it. Who needs that drama?

    Answer by gemgem at 3:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • It depends what the extra money is for.....for example, if your child had to go to the doctor, then yes, asking the father to split the bill with you would be fair.

    But if you just need more money to live, then I think its time to buck up, and do something to bring in extra money such as a second job.

    It is not the fathers responsibility to make sure that YOU are taken care of.

    Answer by MommaLucy at 3:25 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • I think that it depends on the man. Some are really good about doing anything for their kids and some are so bitter that they are required to pay anything that they could care less about giving you a penny more. I guess it all depends on the kind of guy you are dealing with

    Answer by bbrown404 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

  • It depends on his rate of pay and what you need the money for. If the child support is the most his income will allow by your state's laws, then you will need to find another job or a better paying one.

    If you believe that he is making more money, and it can be proven, and he won't freely pay more child support, then take the matter before a judge and have it decided there. It is best to have a court ordered child support order anyway in case the parent stops paying (the state will garnish his wages) or he leaves the state (your state or child support enforcement agency will track him down if he files a W2 in another state).

    When I received child support from my first husband who wanted nothing to do with his child, I never bothered him again so long as he paid what the court had ordered. I always worked 2-3 jobs if I had to to make ends meet until I remarried and had some help financially.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:11 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in About CafeMom
odd nail habbit

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
my period ended nov28