What's the best tablet for toddlers? *edited*

I see a lot of one-sale-a-day sites selling tablets for less than $100, and I was wondering which ones were best for toddlers. We would like one with a DVD player, 3G internet access (we're with ATT, if that matters), and word-processing software. It doesn't have to have a lot of memory. Maybe a webcam for video chatting. What do you recommend?

EDIT: We video chat with family, and she likes to watch videos On Demand. And we have tons of books and a few toy computers, but she loves our iPad and my husband's Smart phone, so we want one for her that if it does break, it won't be a waste of money.

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 9:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2011 in Technology

• You want one for a toddler??
    They'd just break it!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 15, 2011

• yea, that seems like a monumental waste of money for a toddler, get a book instead
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 15, 2011

• get a play computer, they make them so real now and it costs alot less.
    Mommysince02

Answer by Mommysince02 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 15, 2011

• A webcam for video chatting for a toddler? 3G access for a toddler that probably can't even say it, much less use it? I think that's a huge waste of money. I'd just go to walmart and get a toy computer for him/her to play with.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:13 AM on Aug. 15, 2011

• We bought an iPad, mostly for my 2 year old son, and he loves it. He watched videos on it, plays educational games, and he's careful with it.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 10:21 AM on Aug. 15, 2011

• I agree that some toddlers can be super destructive, but DD is very careful with most electronics. My mom got her a portable DVD player and she treats it like it's the most fragile thing ever. I would get an android one or just the absolute cheapest you can find. Or check online for used computers or tablets, etc. I probably wouldn't buy one new for a toddler or a preschooler (heck, I wouldn't spend that much on electronics for a 10 year old more than likely).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2011

• Wow, you're pretty trusting with something so technical. Get the tablet for yourself and allow only supervised game time with age appropriate apps.
    wickedannabella

Answer by wickedannabella at 4:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2011

• I see what you're doing now. That makes more sense. I would look for something used online, like Mrs.BAT suggested. If she takes really good care of it, you could always upgrade later to something better. But I'd start with cheap, maybe even one that doesn't necessarily do everything you want, to see how she does with it. You might also find that once she has her own, she might lose interest rather quickly. And you don't want to have spent a ton of money on it for her to lose interest.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2011