How can I get my 4 year old to stop messing his underwear?

I have a 4 year old and I don't know if he get's to playing too much or what but he will mess his pants, change clothes and sometimes mess the new ones also. He is completely potty trained except his accidents that he has. A couple nights ago he stood in the hallway and said "Oh no mommy, stink (what he calls going potty)." and he stood there right infront of me and messed his pants. How can I break him of this? Any ideas I can try...bribes DON'T work. He has been diagnosed with both ADD and ADHD also.

ShelsBrandy

Asked by ShelsBrandy at 3:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• do some looking into Encompresis....you should rule that out first....or any medical condition for that matter. :o)
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/encopresis.html
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• First off, he's four. Accidents happen.
    Secondly, if he's potty trained "other than the accidents" then you just deal with it when it happens. Sounds like he doesn't always notice he has to poop until he's pooping.
    If these accidents are really common, then he's NOT potty-trained, and you just encourage him until he is, but don't punish or bribe.

Also... you can NOT diagnose a 4 year old with ADD and ADHD. Go get a new doctor.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 7:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• How long has he been potty trained?

How long can he go (hours, days, weeks, etc.) without having any messes?

You may want to go to The Potty Training Moms Support Group and post your situation there. I'd love to offer some suggestions but I don't think the Question forum is the best place for me to offer. Or you can private message me if you want more information. :-)
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 25, 2008