What do you moms think about ventolin used in atomizers for babies, like 7month olds...

my 7 month old daughter has had this nasty cough and has been wheezing for a while. she had a bad case of croup and my pediatrician prescribed ventolin (albuterol) to be given to her through the atomizer. alot of people are telling me that it isn't good for her and has bad side effects. i'm confused now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not bad. I am asthmatic and have been using it my whole life. If the child is whezzing then you need to give it to her. Do you realize that a person who starts wheezing if bad enough can dye in a matter of minutes if medicine is not administered soon enough. I am not trying to scare you but how would you feel if you couldn't breathe. The worst side effect that I have seen and experienced is a slightly increased heart rate. PLEASE give her the medicine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:55 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes, follow your Drs advice and give her the albuterol if she is wheezing! I have not heard of bad side effects (it decreases appetite and can make them hyper, but I'd rather have a hyper kid who won't eat than one who can't breathe!). Both my kids have needed albuterol with the nebulizer, I feel very comfortable giving it to them and I am VERY stingy about giving my kids medicine. Even when I took my son to the very holistic, natural Dr. who uses herbs, homeopathy etc. whenever possible, he prescribed the albuterol as well. I've had to call 911 when I wasn't able to control the wheezing and my toddler son couldn't breathe. You do not want to go there!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2008