What do you moms think of home births?

I know that it is dangerous and complications may occur, but I would be much more comfortable if I gave birth at home. I hated the hospital and there's no place like home I guess. If your doctor predicted everything to be going okay, would you give it a shot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If i had enough room and a mid wife there
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 4:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I had #3 at home and would highly recommend it. It is not dangerous, midwives are very well trained. If it appears that there might be any complications, you are off to the hospital. They will not take any chances.

If you have any questions you can email me directly at jazak5@hotmail.com.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:01 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think you should get a hold of jazak. If I carried pregnacies that would allow me to have ahome birth I would have one. Unfortunately I'm too high risk.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think it's good for both mom and baby if you're able to have a home birth. My mom had my little sister at home and said she loved it so much compared to hospital births.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 4:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I would love to do it! My husband doesn't like the idea, but for our next baby, we're going to give it a try. Good luck if you decide to do it.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I wouldn't put me or my baby in that situation. If something really bad did happen and we needed a real doctor or surgery. And by the time we got to the hospital my baby died. I would feel terrible For wanting to feel at home giving birth.

Answer by louise2 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Babies do not belong in hospitals....hospitals are for the sick, not those just being born!

I think its great you're considering a home birth...I really hope you have the birthing experience you desire. :)
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 4:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• definetly, you can buy a home birth kie to have everything you need, cheap shower curtin on your bed contains the mess, and you could always transfer if something did happen, but the inductions and unnatural interventions that dr do cause more harm then you will cause by birthing at home. Their are plenty of websites and books to give you all the information you need for a home birth and even an unassisted childbirth (UC). Good luck!
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 4:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• no, its not for me. I stress out and I think I would bring to much unneeded stress into the situation if I gave birth at home. I want to be at the hospital, surrounded by doctors and nurses incase something is to go wrong (my sister would not have made it if it was not for being at the hospital when she was born).
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 4:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think that if you have a qualified midwife there with you, then good. Otherwise, no. I actually feel like a home birth would be really awesome if it were attended.

I'm not really ok with the ones that are done at home with no midwife or anyone qualified there to help you, to many things could go wrong, that's why birth was so medicalized in the first place, many many Mom's and babies were dying.

Anyway... That's just my opinion for what it's worth. :) Everyone has an opinion.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 4:37 PM on Dec. 24, 2008