Has anyone stole your baby names?

I have a friend (ex boyfriend more specifically) that lives states away from me who I haven't seen in years but who I talk on the phone with every couple months and we do the whole Christmas cards/invites to special occasions thing.

Last time I talked to him he told me he was finally going to ask his girlfriend to marry him and that they were going to start trying for a baby...something I've been razzing him about since he turned 30 a couple years ago...late bloomer...lol

So he tells me that their girl name is going to be Blythe (my daughter's name) because they haven't been able to come up with something as beautiful and unique. Ok, so that part is flattering...but what?!

I don't know if I should be annoyed by it, its not like we're neighbors or family and they're thousands of miles away, but geez. Has anyone ever stole your child's name and been so bold about it?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Just for Fun

• LOL no, but that took some balls! Holy crap! Your actually-born daughter is named that??
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 4:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• There was a girl that named her baby the same thing as mine and they are born like a month apart. Anyways, i can't and never have been able to stand this girl and she knows it. I honestly believe that the only reason she came up with that name if when she saw our shower invitation (no i did not send her one) but her motherinlaw got one so i know she saw it. And the invitations went out in May and her daughter was born in June. It irritated me so bad when i found out. If i had known before my baby was born, i would have named her something else. I think i would be less irritated if it was a guy that stole my name. They are usually less competative than girls, but i wouldn't know for sure until in that position. But i definately know where you are coming from.
    Anonymous

• You can look at it as a compliment instead of being upset about it. We don't have a patent on names. Just go with the flow.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yea I had a friend name her son Gavin. My sons 16 and when he was born not everyone had that name it wasnt used often. Then with my last dd I was pregnant and my cousin let me know his wife was pregnant with twins. I thought that was great. He asked what I was going to name my dd and I said Isabella Sara. I was due in March, she was due the Nov before. She had her twins and named the little girl Isabella Sara. I was pissed.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my daughter in the pictures...not the one I'm pregnant with. I guess the PP is right...we don't have patents on names, but geez!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes, when I first got pregnant, I told a girl that we were planning on naming the baby Bailey Anne if she was a girl.
    This girl was 7 months pregnant with a girl, claimed she had a name, but wasn't telling anyone, so I didn't care.
    She had her, and named her..Bailey Anne.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I love the name I chose for my daughter and one of the reasons I liked it so much is because I knew no other person with that name - I would so hate someone stealing it!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• We "technically" stole my boyfriend's cousin's name. She just happens to be named Joselyn, though...but we DIDN'T get the idea for our daughter's name from her. Joselyn's mom is very happy and excited about it though, she thinks it's cool that there will be two of them in the family lol. Plus they refer to her as Josie most of the time, and our daughter will be Joss.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My older sister stole 2 of our names. When I was pregnant with my daughter we said that if it was a boy we were going to name him Gregory and my sister got pregnant right after I had my daughter and named her son Gregory then while I was pregnant with my son we were going to name it emily if it was a girl ( I have ALWAYS wanted a emily) well my sister same one named her daughter emily. I was not happy.
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• There's a really depressing city/town in CA named Blythe.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:51 PM on Dec. 24, 2008