natural birth

so i want to give natural birth but the people to help cost so much would it be better for me just to do it my self?? and the doc

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Ive seen Doulas and Midwives that work very fairly. I can't give any advice on performing it yourself and think you should consult a doctor before even delving into the situation.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Every midwife I interviewed takes insurance, and if you are self pay they are usually only 3-4,000 a hospital birth would be way over 10k. Although if you want to do unassisted their is no reason why you can't if you get prepaired enough to do it.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 4:34 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Is this your first? If it is then you will probably want to find a doula to help you unless you have a friend or family member willing to study with you. You'll want a clear birth plan that you and your coach know backwards and forward. It's really hard to have a natural birth in most hospitals because they are really quick to interventions. Watch The Business of Being Born. Most hospitals today are a womans worst enemy when it comes to a natural birth.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 4:42 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I had all three of mine natural. My last one was even at home with a midwife. You can do it, you just have to be determined. My midwife was $45 for each pre-natal visit, and $1000 for the actual birth.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I delivered my baby at the hospital w/nurses and doc. I did not use any type of pain medication and the hospital staff was supportive and impressed by my decision. We had insurance so it cost us about $250. I'm not sure what your expectations of a natural birth are (at home vs. hospital, etc.). But, I personally felt much better doing it at a hospital where they had the medical technology to intervene if necessary.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 4:56 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Have you ever considered using a midwife and going unassisted? That's what I would have done if I had not been diagnosed with pre-e. You don't need a doula to have a successful natural birth, but I would defiantly recommend taking your birth OUT of the hospital in order for you to guarantee success. No matter how strict a birth plan... your chances of intervention skyrocket the moment you check yourself in to any hospital. Samantha has a great suggestion in that you should watch The Business of Being Born, it is truly an eye opening documentary. You should also read as much as you can about interventions and routine procedures used by your practitioner. Midwife or doctor, both have the potential to hinder your birth for their own convenience, so it's important to be informed so that you and your coach can watch out for you and baby's best interest.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My midwife is $1100, which covers prenatal, birth, and postpartum visits. I find this extraordinarily reasonable. Insurance does not cover her services. She is highly experienced but unliscensed, which is certainly part of it.
    momme2008

Answer by momme2008 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If your insurance covers a midwife, then that is the way to go. My first covered half the midwife and she worked with us for payments for the rest (less than $3000 total, we only owed $1200). The midwife I am going to for this birth (new state) can't bill insurance, but all prenatal care and birth totals $2300 and she works it out to a per visit rate, so you can pay as you go. With a midwife, you don't necessarily need a doula and all, but they are very helpful. My advice is to read a lot and research what you want to do. You can empower yourself.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• my midwife is only 3000 and thats cause im doing a water birth at home my advice is to do it natural cause then you dont worry about the baby possibly going through withdraws
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 25, 2008