• In the Spotlight:

Am I wrong for cancelling Christmas?

I have 3 kids, and all of them have been absolutely rotten lately. They are expected to clean their room on a daily basis, and lately it has taken literally all day long. When they started destroying eachothers things this morning for spite, I decided that they did not deserve to get anything new to destroy. If they can't show respect for their things, as well as others, they don't need anything new.

I am very disappointed, I wanted Christmas for them. I have tried so many things to get them to behave, I have helped clean their room, they have done it themselves, I have sat them in timeout, offered rewards, taken away things. I warned them several times this morning, to no avail. I have even removed all the toys from their rooms in the past, for about 6 months. Nothing seems to work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Holidays

• I don't think its out of line at all...if kids can't respect their things, it defies logic to give them more things to destroy.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• idk, I'm about to do the same. Let's hope my daughter shapes up.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:11 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• eesh... cancelling christmas is a little harsh.. but i guess if nothing else is working? If their really young cancelling christmas might actually make it difficult to celebrate christmas in the future. Christmas is about bringing joy to eachother not getting presents. and if you dont teach them hat when their young.. they will never get it... think about it!
    Anonymous

• I would NEVER do that to my kids. Sheesh. They are kids and kids arent always going to behave and the point of Christmas isnt the gifts you get its the spirit of giving and remember why we celebrate to begin with. Theres nothing saying you have to give them everything new under the sun but cancelling Christmas is totally wrong in my eyes.
    Anonymous

• When I was little, Mom would set a timer to clean our rooms. Once that timer went off, anything left on the floor was gathered up & taken to Goodwill. No amount of tears or pleading would change her mind. I'm not sure if this is something you would do lol, but it sure did give us kids motivation to clean within her time frame! As for canceling Christmas, that's really sad, but you're Mom & you know best. I wouldn't do it myself, but it's your decision to make
    Anonymous

• I don't think you are wrong.
    A big part of Christmas, especially if you do the Santa thing, is that kids who behave badly don't get presents. Santa doesn't bring gifts to naughty children...he brings coal.

Maybe you could drag them to church for mass instead, lmao. That'll teach 'em...
    SotilSol

Answer by SotilSol at 5:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Idk, I would say stick to your guns. If you give in, they know they can walk all over you. But at the same time its christmas.... Maybe just do one thing each and thell them they have to work for the rest througout the year or whatever. Or stick with the "no christmas" and take them somewhere to volunteer. Or you could give them their gifts, but they have to pick one to give away. If they don't then you'll pick it and give it away.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If nothing else has worked you should'nt feel bad at all. Perhaps this will finally drive the point home that you are NOT messing around and they wil respect you and their things in your home.
    And I have to agree with a PP I think you should take em to mass to remind them what the Christmas is about and I'm an agnostic.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think to cancel the toy's is your best bet. Clothes..and books! That's all. The meaning of xmas should still be there, put up a tree...light's, put out the cookies and milk! But don't give them one single toy, and tell them that this yr..they made Santa's naughty list, and THAT is why he didn't come down they're chimney!!

Anonymous

• Umm, Christmas is NOT about getting gifts. My daughter made a lady cry because she said mommy is Christmas about love when we were getting a gift for a lady that lives close to us. I think that canceling Christmas is a big harsh. I think making them choose a toy they get and donate to a worth wild cause might get the point across. My kids do not always listen but I could not imagine not letting them have Christmas.
    Anonymous