I didnt breast feed my first bc I didn't have milk until 3 days later.

My question is will this happen again? Will the milk come faster this time around. How healthy do you need to be to breast feed? I guess if your not healthy then how does breast feeding benefit? I have this pressing need to try.

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 5:36 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You are NOT suppose to have milk until 3 days later. Newborns do not need milk at first. They survive of your colustrum, even though it seems like nothing is coming out.

It's a shame no one at the hospital discussed this with you and you missed out on the chance. You could have still started up, most hospitals will have a lactation consultant help. It's never too late to try breastfeeding with your newbie.

Good luck this time around with whatever happens.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 5:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Your milk comes in on the 3rd or 4th day. Believe it or not babies are NOT born with an appetite. GL and make sure to ask for a lactation consultant at the hospital. They are WONDERFUL and will help you and answer ALL your questions.....MC & HNY
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• "I didnt breast feed my first bc I didn't have milk until 3 days later. "

It's normal not to have milk for as long as SIX days...and it's fine. Baby needs nothng but colostrum till then.

"My question is will this happen again? Will the milk come faster this time around."

Possibly yes to either of them. It's common for milk to show up earlier in second and third pregnancies, but your mileage may vary.

" How healthy do you need to be to breast feed? "

Alive. That's the minimum health requirement. **grin** You could smoke and live on McD's...your milok is still better than formula. Now, if you use illegal drugs, THAT is a whole 'nother story.

"I guess if your not healthy then how does breast feeding benefit?"

If you smoke, breastfeeding levels the playing field for your baby's risks from the second hand smoke. If you don't eat healthy, YOU will be the one to suffer no differently than

Answer by gdiamante at 7:46 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• A couple of recommendations for you, adding to my previous post.

1. Take a breastfeeding class.

2. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro.

3. Join one of the breastfeeding groups here on CM. I'm moderator of Breastfeeding Moms and all are welcome.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:47 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• most of the time your milk does not come in for 3-4 days...all they need until then is colostrum.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 8:58 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I gave up on BFing my daughter in the hospital and when I got home my milk came in and it hurt so bad, I BFed.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Your milk doesn't come in right away. That is NORMAL. You have colostrum, which is nutrient rich and full of good fat for your baby. People actually call it liquid gold because it is so good for baby. Then your milk comes in. You should really take a breastfeeding class. The more you educate yourself the more likely you are to be successful at breastfeeding. Oh, and you don't have to be a super health nut to breastfeed. Breastmilk is wonderful for your baby even if you do eat junk food occasionally. Even cigarette smoking moms are encouraged to breastfeed by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:57 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Everyone has addressed the milk coming in topic, but why do you feel that you aren't healthy enough to breast feed? I am not really a "healthy" person (I like my soda and coffee, sometimes skip meals, etc) but I breast feed successfully for 18 months. I think if you feel like you need to, then you should! It is the best for your baby and very good for you. :) Also, I am not sure I would advice you to see a lactation consultant... try to find a peer counselor. That is someone who actually bf'd.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:01 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My LO didn't really even eat until day 5. I had to feed her from a cup, then realized we had a bad position thanks to what they "taught" me at the hospital. I couldn't pay her to get off the boob 15 months later. LOL
    Newborns don't need to eat right away. As long as the baby isn't showing signs of distress then it is okay. You could have breast fed just fine, I am betting, but a lot of what hinders success in breastfeeding is not being educated about it. I suggest you educate yourself. I read Nursing Your Baby by Karen and Gayle Pryor and it was the best thing I ever did. A little education is great empowerment.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 11:32 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Now, if you use illegal drugs, THAT is a whole 'nother story.

gdiamante, I'm curious on your take on this, just curious, not trying to start anything, but how would cigarettes be any less harmful than say, smoking weed? Clearly, less harmful than Meth or Coke, but in general Cigarettes (from a health standpoint) are worse than Marijuana to begin with.
    Anonymous