What does it mean when someone says Jesus Christ after they do something?

Like if someone drops something and says Jesus does that mean that they are using his name in vain? Is it the same as a cuss word? Basically what does it mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• it means they are mad
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes but does it mean that they aren't religious? Or dont believe?
    Anonymous

• I was raised Roman Catholic and my grandfather used to ALWAYS say either: "Awww, Jesus Joseph and Mary" whenever he heard bad news...LOL! It's not that he didn't believe...quite the opposite. I think it was his way (and many others I know), of AVOIDING using foul language.

But when he was angry...it was "Jesus H. Christ!!!" I didn't know Jesus had a middle name/initial!!! LOL! Now, if the "H" in Jesus' middle name were substituted for say the "F" word...THEN I would say one is using His name in vain!

So MY guess would be depending on the context in which it is said, and the tone...pity or anger would tell you the "intent."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• So if it was an anger tone is it wrong? I dont know anything about this and would like to know. Thank you so much!
    Anonymous

• When used in anger or frustration it's considered blasphemous.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• When someone is mentally on my last nerve...I've been known to say it. On occasions I may say other things for example.. Mother Fu***r may spill out of my mouth if JC doesn't. I am a believer in Jesus but just have a bad habit that I'm not proud of.
    Anonymous

• It's like cussing...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• If it is used in anger or frustration, it is using His name in vain. But if you use it because you are upset and need Him and you are calling out for Him that's not using it in vain.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:20 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My response to people who say Oh Jesus Christ or Oh My God ... is Oh where ???? Is He here? I get weird looks but I just smile! I do that to my kids when they say oh my God! To me those names are Holy and to be revered ... how would you like it if someone used YOUR name instead!? So yes because it is holy , using it wrongly would be considered taking His name in vain! People who do that have no Fear of the Lord.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes...swearing...Using the Lord's name in vain.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 24, 2008