how do i petition for more child support

I have two children I have joint custody with their father. He gets them 2 nights a week and we split the weekends up. My children don't want to be with him. They are preteen age. Half the time he doesnt pick them up until 7:00 at night and returns them in the morning. It's hardly joint custody. I need more child support from him. How do i go about doing it without getting an attorney

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Several ways. Get an attorney first, if you cant afford one go to your welfare department they can get you one pro bono or half price. Here are two websites we give our clients all the time.
    www.SupportKids.com and www.Child-Support-Info.org
    Hope this helps. If you have any questions you can PM me, Ill be happy to help.
    jdl0812

Answer by jdl0812 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Type something up, and ask if he'll agree to it.
    If not, some states offer free counseling/ mediation.
    If he WON'T agree, sorry but you have go to court, lawyer or not.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• In New Jersey we went through the Chancery Division of Family Court. You do not need a lawyer. Trust me. I hired one once and it was such a waste of money! Not saying lawyers aren't good in general. But she requested we go through mediation instead of before the judge, the day of. My son's father and I ended up coming up with the whole arrangement ourselves and the court just signed off on it. We've been doing it that way for the last three court visits.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 2:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2008