Any ideas...

on how to get my 29 month old to listen (the first time around). lol. Please, any ideas would be soo very helpful.

k_hall1784

Asked by k_hall1784 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is 30months and he definatly doesn't listen the first time!!But discipline and being consistant will help!!
    melanielp

Answer by melanielp at 8:27 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think it's almost impossible to get them to listen the first time around but stay firm and they'll get the message that your serious quickly.
    mamatobe1989

Answer by mamatobe1989 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I cant even get my 20 year old husband to listen the first time around but please if you figure out how please let me know!!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• (the husband thing doesn't improve with age...mine's 38. UGH)

As for the kids listening...make sure you have their attention first....make eye contact. Tell them what you want them to do. If they don't do it, put them in time out. Let them out of time out when they are ready to do what they were told. If they don't go do what they were told, they go right back into time out. Once they get out of time out and do what is expected of them, tell them "Thank you for doing what you were told/what was expected" with a big hug. (behavior modification from my oldest son's psychologist...worked GREAT for my 2 year old!! )

Keep in mind...there is a difference between telling and asking. Kids know when it's a question..."will you....." and will answer the question yes or no. If you WANT them to do it..don't ask. Tell them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:10 AM on Dec. 25, 2008