Why do I feel like this with my cat?

I have a calico she is mostly white and I love to hold her and carry her but sometimes she wants to just jump out of my arms and that makes me feel like fine I won't hold you anymore.
I had a torteshell a fews years back and she was the total opposite, I miss her so badly I had her for 17 in a half years. I used to love to hold her I could actually feel her love...lol (I know crazy me) you would understand if you are a true animal lover:)
what can I do for my cat to feel she can relax in my arms. she acts like a little chicken at times she is an inside cat but she acts like she is around alot of noise you would think she would be used to our home. I have had her for 4 in a half years. I just want to pick her up and love on her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Pets

• i have a female calico n i try to do the same things..i (try ) to hold her n watnot but she wont have it. i feed i pet her i made her a "special" bed i bath her i spoil her but the only time she wants me is if shes tired then she sleeps next to me but she LOVES my husband n he dont even like cats im thinkin WTF... my other cats never really did that . So im n the same boat as u but what im trying is puttin some wet cat food n a dish and holding it. she jumps up n eats it but yet i can still hold n rub on her. IT works for me hopelly it will for you???!!!!! sorry so long
    TN-FOOR

Answer by TN-FOOR at 3:28 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I'm afraid that it is just her personality. The cat in my avatar we recently lost. He was only 10. I knew he loved us but he just didn't want to be held. I tried to get him to feel relaxed but even though he tolerated being picked up a little bit, I knew he prefered not to be held. We've had 7 cats over the years and only 1 loved to be picked up and hugged on, the others loved us but didn't want to be held.

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• All cats are different and have different personalities. We had one cat who was perfectly happy even when my (then toddler) son wasdragging him around by the tail or one hind leg. I DID put a stop to it every time I caught him at it, in case you are wondering! We now have an old female cat who hides every time the grandchildren come over. She also squalls like she's getting disemboweled every time she is picked up. I would suspect a medical problem if she hadn't been exactly the same way about it since she was 6 weeks old!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:18 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Cats are very into them selfs. They pick who they like and when they will be loved on. I have 4 ctas, and each one is differnt than the other. So hence we have 4. One is a tort,she is very loving,the yellow tabby will let you pet her when she wants and then your dime is up. We have a persian thats like the king. He only comes around when you have ice cream. The ferral cat we raised is named Taz cause he is a devil cat. Good luck petting him. So we have the cream of the crop so to speak. If you want get another cat to add to your home. All these cats were rescues and we did luck out on one that is such a lover.But each one is very nice to have. Try cking out another cat before you get her/him and see if she /he is a lover. They will let you know right away.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 9:29 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• You can have my cat, hes a tuxedo cat and all he does is meow at night when I'm putting my DD down. I finally put him outside (normally inside only) till i calmed down. I can't handle his meowing anymore.
    JadesMom1008

Answer by JadesMom1008 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• We have 7 cats and all their personalities are different. Yours is just not a lap baby. Don't take it personally!
    3timesoccermom

Answer by 3timesoccermom at 9:39 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I just lost my senior calico some months ago and my heart aches. She was never a snuggle bunny. She was more of a bite you and "what-ever" cat. She was very much her own person. It wasn't until she was very much alzheimers that she would let anyone touch her. I repected this cat very much. It was her personality. Everyone and every thing has an individual personality. Also, she might not want you to stand and hold her. She may have a problem with sight, heights, trust, or whatever. Cats have cat brains. It is hard sometimes to understand until you put yourself in her position and think like a cat. Overall, don't think an animal doesn't like you. If you are good to the animal, feed the animal, and allow the animal some animal comforts and freedoms, the animal will eventually learn to trust you more and be more attuned to you and your feelings. Trust is gained, not taught.
    Shamanmom

Answer by Shamanmom at 2:01 AM on Dec. 26, 2008