Do you have trouble falling asleep and staying there?

I have trouble sleeping at night... if I am luck enough to fall asleep I usually wake in the middle of the night so awake I could clean house. Does anyone else do this? I had thought for a long time that my problem was stress related and I take unisom, or tylenol pm, and have even been on ambien and the results are all the same... not much sleep. I find it mentally exhausting. This has been going on for years... is so bad I can take the maximum dose of ambien and still not phase me. Any suggestions?

photojournalist

Asked by photojournalist at 9:35 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Health

• Cut out all caffeine- tea, coffee, soda, chocolate. I found that tylenol PM made me very wakeful. Here is an exercise that you can do that makes you focus your mind on the exercise and also makes the body relax- so you relax both body and mind. Lie comfortably, inhale slowly, exhale slowly, as you inhale feel that you are bring all the tension in your body into your lungs, when you exhale pretend that you are blowing that tension away. Continue to breathe slowly. Relax your feet, relax your ankles, relax your calves, relax the front of your legs, relax your knees, - you see where this is going, relax each part of your body, working up, and checking from time to time that everything is still relaxed. Continue the breathing and the relaxing. Even if you should still be wakeful, it will be good for your mind and body to practise relaxing.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Yes, I am there with you. I can stay up for ever. I take Xanax. I used to take Ambien.. If that didn't knock you out, I don't know what would. I would try cutting out all Caffeine. Are you stressed about something? That is what usually does it to me.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:03 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Ambien is addictive avoid that. It forces an addiction on your body, try exercising and burning off extra energy at night before you go to bed.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I dont ever sleep thru the night....I am a light sleeper...I wake up to everything...it sucks...
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I wake up so easily and once up, I stay awake for hours. Before the pregnancy I took Lunesta, worked like a charm, now that my DD is here and I'm BF, I can't take anything, it sucks! I tell myself over and over again, go to sleep, stop thinking, just got to sleep.
    JadesMom1008

Answer by JadesMom1008 at 12:56 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• ya i hear ya ,,i take xanax and still wake all night ,,,sometimes i eat ,,,it really got bad after having kids,,,,,I think my body got used to waking for feedings i guess....now w. the holidays over i am going to try to exercise daily and eat right and hope it helps,,,,,,,,,,I figure ,,this helps w, stress,,which probably is why i dont sleep......Somebody told me about that chemical your body produces to sleep......melatonin?? They have it in pill form,,some people need more.......go to melatonin.com.......good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 AM on Dec. 26, 2008