How do you know if you love someone?

I am forty years old... divorced after nineteen years and now wondering if I every truly loved my husband. Or was I in love with the idea of being married with children and June Cleaver? Now I have a boyfriend and I am completely at peace and I feel very secure in this relationship... I believe we may be soul mates... never have I felt this way... he has awakened something inside me that I cant expalin. He pretty much is everything I had always wished I would have. I am sure that I love him but was thinking how do you really know? Any ideas?

photojournalist

Asked by photojournalist at 9:39 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Relationships

• If he loves you back and if you have that feeling of mutual regard, it just grows and grows. If you feel that you are not a complete person when you are apart. If you are friends first and sweethearts second. Best wishes and hugs for your happiness. :)

Answer by Bmat at 9:44 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Love is only respect of someone and the level of toleration you have for him. If you can over look the things he does that just bugs the shit out of you without wanting to put a frying pan up side his head you may love him lol! In my opinion love is a figment of our imagination!
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 10:08 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I think you just can't remember the good times and the love because of how it ended. I'm sure you did love him, but maybe you didn't. I knew I loved my husband (bf at the time) because the first Christmas we were together he went home to his mothers house for 10 days, in another state. I was miserable, absolutely miserable for the entire 10 days. And when he came back I never left his house until we got our own place. We pretty much lived together after dating for 3 months.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:51 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• When youre inlove... you know. No doubt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• thats awful country gal. love is a real feeling.

when youre inlove- its not that you cant live without them. its that you dont want to!
    Sandiii

Answer by Sandiii at 10:39 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Love is that rush you get when you see them. Love is that magic you feel without the alcohol and without the makeup, designer and expensive clothes and cars. Love is real. I am in love.Love feels so good.......................................................................Infatuatuation is crazy I love it all............
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I understand where you are coming from. I think it depends on where we are in our lives. I, too, am in my fortys. I was married for sixteen years, divorced for five and now remarried. I do believe at the time I was first married, at 19, I loved my husband. I still love him for what he gave me, a beautiful family. I just think things happened to change it for me at that time in my life. I dated when I was divorced, but never felt really at ease with anyone... And it's funny, when you are dating you are comparing everyone to your ex and the life you had, remembering the good times. CONT
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:56 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• When I met my now husband, I never felt any unease... I could be exactly who I am and he wanted to be with me too. My father bought me a copy of that book: He's Just Not That Into You, when I was dating.. It cleared so much up for me. I think until you read that book, you do not understand how to think about a relationship. Alot of women on here ask questions that they could see clearly if they read the book. Anyway, Love is what you feel at the moment. It does grow, yes, but only if both parties let it.
    pupmom

• It is a very common question, "How can I tell I'm in love?", but it is not an easy question to answer. What feels like love to one person may be nothing more than attraction to another. Some people fall in and out of love quickly and often while others are never really in love as much as they are in lust. This can get confusing. So the sappiness aside, the question remains, how can you tell you are in love?
    There is no easy way to find the truth behind your feelings or the feelings of another person but there are some tell-tale signs that love is blooming (or growing deeper)...cntd.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 10:31 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• If you agree with 7 of the following 9 statements you are probably in love.
    You know, because you have been told by your significant other, that your deep feelings are returned in kind.
    The object of your affections makes you feel special and good about yourself.
    If/when you feel jealous it is always fleeting; you trust your partner not to betray you or hurt your relationship.
    Nothing makes you feel as serene as when you and your partner are together.cntd...
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 10:35 PM on Dec. 25, 2008