• In the Spotlight:

4-month old weight

Does anyone know how much a 4-month-old boy should weight? I weighed my son today and he was 13lb 4oz. That seems small to me. He was 11lb 6oz at 2 months and 1 week, and 7lb 8oz at birth. He goes in for his 4 month shots the first week in January, but I'm just a little worried about his weight.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At four months my son weighed just over 15lbs.. but honestly.. as long as your baby continues to gain weight I wouldn't worry about it. Even looking at the growth chart anywhere from11lbs and up is still a good weight. Babies are going to gain weight no matter what.. and every baby is different. Baby may be only 13.4 now.. but in a couple of months may be 17lbs, you just never know. You're baby is perfect.. no such thing as small.. just enjoy it while it lasts!!
    cincodemayomom

Answer by cincodemayomom at 10:23 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• oh.. is it possble that he may have just had a growth spurt?
    cincodemayomom

Answer by cincodemayomom at 10:24 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• My son is 4 months (8.20.08) he wieghs 17 pounds but he is tall so it evens out says the doctor. His daddy weighs 220 and is 6'3 and wears a size 34 pants, so i guess it depends on height as well. I'm sure he is fine.
    carolinagirl820

Answer by carolinagirl820 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• Thanks everyone! He did just go through a growth spurt -- seems like overnight he just got bigger! LOL. My husband got me all worried. We'll find out in 2 weeks what the doctor says! I hope you all have a great holiday!
    Anonymous

• Are you kidding, hon? He's nearly doubles his birthweight already. His weight is GORGEOUS. You can go worry about the college fund.

(Comparing babies means nothing...just look at your own's progress. One pound a month is minimum gain for a breastfed baby...formula fed tend to gain more and yours has done even more than that. NO worries AT ALL.)

Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 PM on Dec. 24, 2008