What type employment would be good for woman with Bipolar/Mania

Looking into trying to find something that my friend that has depression,bipolar/manic episodes that stemmed from abuse so working in the public isn't possible. She is a great person just not comfortable around people. She really wants to work and raise her family she is single parent. Thank you for your responses. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Money & Work

• I found great resources at www.stuffformoms.info
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:03 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• First, is she being treated? Unless she panning on sitting at home and stuffing envelopes, she is not going to find anything where she will not have to relate with someone.
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 11:45 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• My brother has bipolar and gets manic. I agree with Usanamama, if she's not undergoing treatment she's going to have a hard time with any job on her "bad" days. My brother couldn't manage interviews - the stress and anxiety would cause him to get jumpy which was off-putting for a lot of employeers. If shes getting help for her medical condition she shouldn't be limited by it.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:02 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• try going and taking classes online. ... she's a single mother, so she can probably get funding to do it for free. there are a lot of fields out there, and I'm sure she will find something that will fit her condition as well as make her the money she needs.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:10 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• She should go apply for state vocational rehabilitation.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:15 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Well, I have BPD also... I understand where she is comming from. The best advice I can give you/her is DO NOT underestimate yourself. You can do ANYTHING you want to do! I have my own business with Ameriplan. I love it! The days I'm not doing so well I can get on that phone and talk to others in the business that really help me to get through those down times. When I'm feeling like I could fly I get out in the town and hang flyers...

Personally I see my condition as a tool, not a stopping block! It will only run your life if you let it! So DON'T! What does she want to do? Whatever it is, encourage her... She CAN do it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 PM on Dec. 26, 2008