Dog in pain because of nail broken to the quick!

My poor girl, Sally, broke her nail half off so it's still on, putting pressure on the quick (hard to explain). I don't know how to get it off without hurting her and she seems so sad and she snapped at her brother earlier (which is very uncharacteristic of her) when he sniffed at it. Does anyone know if I can give anything to her for pain? (I called 2 emergency vets to ask but they both said they couldn't answer without seeing her.) And long story short, I lost my dog nail clippers and haven't gotten to the store to pick up some more, all of their nails are really long! Anyone know something else I can use to clip their nails? I feel terrible, usually I'm an awesome dog mommy, I used to bathe them once a week and feed them before I ate breakfast and take them on long daily walks but since I had my daughter life has been crazy! Anyone? I don't want her to be in pain on christmas!

Forgot to mention she's about 35 pounds.

Karinza

Asked by Karinza at 11:45 PM on Dec. 24, 2008 in Pets

• If you have any sharp wire cutters,you can use them just leave the alittle longer so you won't make them bleed, or some sharp toe nail cutters work 2. If you go cut into the quick put some oragel on the sore nail it works fast! If the cutters leave them jagged just use a pedicure file to smooth them out.
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 11:58 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• 1 baby asprin
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• You can give your dog Tylenol but the dose depends on the dog's weight. You can google OTC pain meds for dogs to fine tune what you need. Also, I wouldn't try to remove the nail, it is best to wait until you can get her to teh vet to do just in case you have a bleeding situation. My dog just did the same thing a few days ago. She slipped on ice while taking a potty break outside and has a nail broken up at the base of the toe. Odly enough she isn't complaining about it at all. If I didn't see the blood I wouldn't have known she was even hurt. I've left her nail alone for her to care for herself since she doesn't seem to be in much pain. Dogs are very good at caring for their own wounds.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• You should go to the vet. It will need to be clipped off and probably some antibiotics and pain meds.
    p.s. I'm a licensed vet nurse
    Bobbysmommy324

Answer by Bobbysmommy324 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2008