How many times a day should I feed my 9 month old baby food that got meat in it?

The reason why I am asking is because my mil told me that I should be feeding Jayden twice a day. But, that is not what my son's nurse, pediatrician or dietitian say to do. In fact I heard the nurse say to me a at the last appointment that I should be giving him baby food that got meat in it, but she did not say how much a day. Any advice, before I call the nurse or dietitian?

kaynadjaysmom28

Asked by kaynadjaysmom28 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should feed them meat 3x a day. but feed him fruit and veggies when ever he is hungry. meat is harder to digest so my dds dr told me 3x so she gets used to it but it doesnt give her a belly ache.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• At least 2-3 times a day. But I'm not sure. My daughter went on solid people food at around 8-9 months and wasnt on baby food. But she already had alot of teeth and could chew it so idk lol.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 12:54 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• meat? i've never heard a doc say that...most docs recommend you wait as long as possible to even start them on solid food. when my son was 9 months, he had oatmeal and a bottle for breakfast, cereal and a bottle for lunch, and then for dinner it was cereal, baby food and a bottle to wash it down. he ate 3 times a day, and didn't wake up for night feeding by that age. no meat though. with my DD, i'm planning on starting solid foods, like cereal, way later than i did with my son. since you're wanting to give baby food, it really depends on your scheduled feeding that you have now. like i only did baby food for dinner.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I think it depends on their medical situation. If the child has any stomach or digestive problems, then you need to use a more digestible protein meat, like fish or turkey. Beef takes up to 8 hours to digest in the system.

Our son was interested in what he saw us eat so I gave him a hamburger (fast food one) at 8 or 9 months of age and we thought it was real "cute" but looking back, I wish I had not done so that early. He ate it fine but I later read more about pureeing meat to make it easier for them to digest. RULE OF THUMB: if your child is hungry, demanding more bottles or more baby food...it is time to step the menu up to include more regular solid foods. Start easy, don't force him to eat things he seems to hate...he may have allergies to some of it. Best to you! Mom401 P.S. Health stores, good ones, have neat books about baby's first natural foods. Good resource.
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 2:44 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• If there's a medical problem, talk to your pediatrician.

Other wise...all I have to say is that my boys were all completely on table foods at 9 months and eating a balanced diet.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:16 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I never fed my kids meat baby food. Just the fruit and veggies and it was 2-3 times a day.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:48 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Truthfully, your son does not need any solids in his diet until his first birthday. Breastmilk (or formula) is all he needs until then. However, because our society has chosen to ignore that, you may feed him as much as he wants given he is taking in enough milk. I would suggest giving him his milk first, then solids, but it is up to you, of course! I could NEVER get Madelyn to eat the jarred meats *gag*....so if your baby won't eat it either, don't stress. He'll still be juuust fine without them. He may prefer to have what you guys eat (chicken, beef, turkey, fish) to be pureered by you, instead of the funky Gerber stuff because it will taste better. I would say maybe a few tablespoons a day of the meats should be more than enough.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 11:41 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Oh, another mom mentioned what he "feeding schedule" was and I thought I'd add mine too. When we first started out, it was cereal and milk only for any "food" feedings, then we added fruit and she had that with breakfast in her cereal, then we added a veggie late afternoon. Once she was aroung 9-10 months old we started with cereal+fruit for breakfast, a veggie or two at lunch, and a "dinner" one for dinner. Milk in between and at meals. She also nibbled Zwieback toast (and still does at 2-1/2) for snacks. We also started offered her table foods if she was interested.

The fruit/cereal for breakfast, veggie for lunch and meat+veggie+starch for dinner worked out well so that she was getting a little of everything, and no one had to question what she had already had.

I hope I've helped you out a bit!
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 11:47 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Well, for my son I was feeding him meat once a day cause the nurse told me to start it on him which I did back a couple months ago and I still do. But, my mil told me I should be feeding him bottled baby food meats twice a day. He has no allergies to anything which is good that is not what I am worried about. All, I want to know is how many times a day should I be feeding him bottled baby food meat?
    kaynadjaysmom28

Answer by kaynadjaysmom28 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Just my opinion, but I kept my children off eggs and meat until they were 4 or 5. Look into it for yourself, of course, but there are some very good health reasons to do this. A little white meat chicken after they're 3, perhaps ... This is a long-standing practice, well-known for hundreds of years, and now nutrition research has been discovering the intricate workings of insulin and hormones and the way meat and egg yolks promote inflammation. So, letting the child's liver mature a bit before asking it to handle these heavier fats is once again seen to be important. ... Yet another discarded old wives' tale which turns out to be a good idea !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2008