What's the differce between Half & half, and WHIPPING Cream?

I have a corn chowder Soup. it just says CREAM... which do I use?

moemomma2

Asked by moemomma2 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I would use half and half, or you could even use evaporated milk. Heavy cream is more for sauces.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:12 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• For that I would use the half and half. Whipping cream is generally for a dessert... I use it in creme bruillet (sp?)
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:13 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• half and half is half milk and half cream.. so it's lighter.. whipping cream is just full on cream. if it's just for soup, i'd use half & half, or evaporated milk like pp said.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:38 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I'd use the half and half because it has less fat, but the soup won''t be as creamy as with whipping cream because whipping cream has a lot of fat. half and half is half milk and half cream.

Answer by Bmat at 8:28 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• The difference is in the amount of fat in the milk. Half & Half is about the same as you could get combining half milk and half cream, hence the name. It can certainly be used in cooking as a substitute, although there will be a slight textural difference...it will be a bit lighter, a bit thinner, and a bit less rich...but that isn't necessarily a bad thing! lol
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:42 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Thanks everyone. I'll try it with the half and half!

Moe'
    moemomma2

Answer by moemomma2 at 1:49 AM on Dec. 27, 2008