what is a good age to potty train boys?

my son is almost 15 months.i know it's to early to potty train him.I just wnat to kow what a good age is to start.I have started to put big boy underwear in him over his diaper so he can used to wearing then when it come time he will get used to wear them

babyjoe21

Asked by babyjoe21 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'm a preschool teacher. whatever age you start this, be patient and be consistent. long ago i worked at a school where at 24 months old you were no longer in diapers. period. the parents had to supply 6 sets of training underpants with rubber pants to go over. the staff was good about getting the kids to the bathroom regularly and frequently, and it was not too big a chore to train them. overall, though, as soon as your son shows an interest, it's not too early. get him a little toilet to put across from mommy's toilet and a little basket of books for him to look at and for you to read to him. dont make it scary. don't threaten with the potty. kids can control 2 things in their lives, what goes into their bodies, and what comes out. some kids refuse to eat regular food, some kids poop their underwear when they're angry. again, use patience. good luck! vicki
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 1:54 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Two and one-half years old. It will only take you one or two days and they will have it mastered quickly because that is when they are developmentally ready. I was surprised at how easy it was and very grateful to have heard that advice earlier so I did not make his life miserable months too soon.

I think boys mature a bit later than girls in this area but I would not push the girls if there is no interest until that same age. Otherwise, you set up all types of negative and resistant behaviors and wrong or confused conclusions in their little minds and then you have battles royale for years to follow.

Mom401
    Mom401

Answer by Mom401 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• My little guy was potty trained by 18 months old. No pressure, just introduced the potty as soon as he started walking. When he was ready he did it on his own. After the first time he actually went in the potty I put him in underwear, 3 days later he was accident free. He is now for and still doing wonderfully.

I don't think there is any specific age, some are ready earlier then others. I chose to put him on the potty as soon as he was walking so he would not be afraid of it. I didn't expect anything, and I didn't get anything for a while. I never offered rewards, just lots and lots of praise.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:49 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Don't potty "train", period.
    Buy a potty, show them how to use it, occasionally ask if they'd like to use it and reward them if they try, even if nothing comes out... but leave it at that. If your kiddo doesn't show any interest, don't push it. If they start using it and then stop, don't push it or punish.
    They'll use it when they're ready, and anything you try to do prior to that will just be stressful for you both.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:58 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• It's not necessarily too early to start. My theory is if you let them lead you, it's less frustrating and will take just as long in the end. (wait longer to start, finish at the same time as if you started early)

I wouldn't worry about the underwear right now though. That's not something they have to "get used to". I would start getting him familiar with the potty and what it's for. Take him in with you when you go, have your husband take him in when he goes so he sees what's going on. Have a little potty (or seat insert for the toilet) and have him start sitting on it while you get his bath water ready (naked, of course)

If you want to be a "step" ahead for when the time comes....have him familiar with sitting on the potty. That's where the bigger potential battle is....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:04 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Good answers. Also, my daughter liked letting her stuffed animals go potty when she was learning. She still does actually. She'll tell me her bear or baby needs to go potty. Sometimes their butts hurt & even need ointment!! Haha. i think average for boys is around 3 years old honestly. My dd was interested in the potty early and used the potty around 1 1/2 but also still used her diaper until a little after 2. Here lately, she's been having lots of accidents. I think during busy times/ Christmas/ new baby, some little ones tend to get too busy and regress a little. I'll just break out a new potty reward chart after the new year and encourage my dd to do better. No big deal though. This is one thing that stressing over will only make worse!!
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 3:59 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• id say three.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 4:09 PM on Dec. 26, 2008