I really think I have some ungrateful kids!

So I am sleeping and at 3:45 hubby wakes to tell me that our boys 7 and almost 4 opened all the damn presents! All of them! My seven year old can read so I just don't understand why they opened ALL the presents. Not just theirs but their baby sister too. It's a fkn mess by the tree and I have a big knot in my throat because I just want to cry. So one of my kids had to wake the other to go and do this. I told hubby they will not be opening other gifts today from other family that is coming over today. I have tried to tell them over and over again what Christmas was about and the gifts were just a bonus. Do you think it's wrong for not letting them open other gifts later? Or just tell me what you may or may not do.

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 4:13 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• That's terrible. I would be so mad. If you have paper I would wrap baby sis' stuff back up. I would also take the toys they opened and put them up. Let them have the presents later. I'm sorry. My best friend's little boy did that yesterday, except he opened mostly presents for other relatives because Santa hadn't come yet and he's only two. Try not to let it ruin your day, someday it will seem funny.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:21 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• OMG! I would have been so upset! :o( I'm sorry. My favorite part is always watching the people open their gifts! that totally sucks they did it without you!

I think the punishment is fair!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I would have been pissed too. When my son had his first Christmas I had to work that day. We were supposed to go to my mil house. When I got there, my dh had already had all my son's presents opened. They didn't even wait for me. (It wasn't late!) It was my firstborn and his first Christmas. My dh always does crap like that.

I agree with your punishment. I would have totally lost it with my kids. I would have cried. My son and daughter already guessed thier presents. I am so upset with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• OMG!! I would have done the same thing + would not let them play with there toys for a couple hours.
    TN-FOOR

Answer by TN-FOOR at 4:20 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I would be ROYALLY PISSED! I would get them up right now and make them wrap the LO's presents back up, clean up the mess, AND not allow them to open any other gifts. I would also make them tell each and every person that gives them a gift how naughty they were and that they do not deserve a gift. Then I would have them take their gift back to the store and get something for the LO instead. After telling them this is how it is going to be I would give them a very good hard spanking!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:21 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I think you are over-reacting.

Yes, what they did was stupid, but they are children. You need to step back, take a breath, and realize that here is a chance to SHOW them what Christmas is about and not just tell them.

Have them clean up the mess and wrap anything that wasn't theirs. Show them that the fun they had is not worth the hard work.

And don't let this spoil the rest of your day.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:24 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I think I would wake them up and show them what "someone" did to all the presents, pretend to cry like your heart is broken, except I would hide theirs and not let them have em for a while. The 7 year old knows better, the 4 year old knows a little bit. I would make them feel guilty, because that is too sad for words. I would come up with something to make them feel bad and let them see how they would fix it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I'd like to let you know that we talked to the boys.

I did wrap their sisters presents up again. We also made the boys clean up all the mess and talked to them again on what Christmas is really about. I will keep their toys away from them for a bit today and they will not open any other gifts.

Thank you ladies and have a wonderful Christmas!

wreath

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 25, 2008