Your Kids and their beliefs

Are there any beleifs/religions you prefer your children not follow (when they reach the age to decide for themselves)? Will you try to discouage them? Disown them?

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 4:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• no not at all. They can choose for themselves what they want to believe. We teach them our beliefs. I will also teach them about alot of others. when they are 18 they can believe whatever they want. I will still love them no matter what
    dearone07

Answer by dearone07 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• nope, they are free to discover what makes their world right. I was brought up christian, but today, do not believe most of what I was taught. I just don't have a religion. I guess it would be to be kind to others, not lie, treat people kindly and do good in the world. But my children are free to choose christianity, buddhism, whatever, as long as I believe it's a good religion with respect to humankind.
    aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 5:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Of course I will teach them what I believe while they are growing up but if they decide on their own to go a different route, it's their choice. I would definately research their beliefs but I don't think I would discourage them from it. I know I say that now but I guess we'll see when it happens.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I will teach my child and future children nothing but how to be a good person, they can decide and do what they want.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I will let them know my beliefs and that other people do not believe the same way. I will help them research anything they want to consider. It is important to me that they find the spiritual path that suits them best. Even if it is not mine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I would never disown my kids. My job as I feel it, is to raise my daughter to know Jesus and to love Jesus. What is that verse in the bible (sorry, cannot remeber it word for word), but teach your children about Jesus when they are young and they will come back to him when they are grown. That is not the exact words, but very close. As far as beliefs that I wouldn't want her to have, there are several. But, I would never discourage her or disown her. I would just try to educate her the best that I could.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 7:02 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i agree with 2austisticsmom!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Never disown either. I am careful to make sure they understand the difference between fact and opinion, as I was not taught that way and rather resent it.

I would be against anything that drew them to hurt others, naturally. As long as they are thinking rationally, questioning things, not being blindly led by emotion.... living a respectable, responsible life, treating others as they'd like to be treated, I'd be happy. So far so good; they are teens and I hope are thinking for themsleves by now and not waiting until the "magic age" of 18. (although I think boy's brains aren't fully developed until 25 ;-)
    Jazzmim

Answer by Jazzmim at 9:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• “Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it.” Proverbs 22:6

I will (& do) teach my children the Word. It is in their best interest that I do. Just like the doctor gives us advice to keep our children healthy, the Gospel is in the best interest of our children. I find it hard that a Christian would not want to share Jesus with their children. To me that is like saying, "Well, I will show the vegetables to my child, but let him decide if he wants to eat them. If he chooses to eat candy all day, that is up to him."
    ashkyef3

Answer by ashkyef3 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• ashkyef3:: Love your answer!!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2008