what do i do

Ok i need help i have a two year old and a 10 month old. My two year old has a very bad temper he yells at me he pushes his brother down he hits he dont listen to me it all started when his daddy left to fight in the war. ive tried everything i can think of time out bed time took his favorite toys away no tv i dont know what to do anymore please help

armywife8805

Asked by armywife8805 at 4:58 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get some tips from Super Nanny regarding discipline of a 2 yo and...

Find time to spend one on one with your 2 yo. He needs some special attention. Help him connect to Daddy anyway he can. Help him express his feelings about Daddy leaving (drawing or playing with dolls). See what he shows you and talk to him about it. He needs to be loved and taught through this.

I can tell how hard it is for you and your son. I appreciate not only how his daddy is serving our country, but the toll it takes on his family while he does it. I hope his return is soon and that your family is reunited once more!

No matter how he feels, it isn't ok to take it out on brother.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:26 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• WOW i kinda had that problem with wayne when he was going on 2 but not the bull'n part after a while i just let him do it he calmed it down alot but i think mainly it was for the attention
    TN-FOOR

Answer by TN-FOOR at 5:01 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Maybe he misses his daddy and it's his way of compensating for the attention. Does his dad call often or is there a way ya'll could video chat every now and again? Whenever he calls, let your 2 yr old talk to daddy for a few minutes (and let daddy know to tell him to be good). It could just be that he misses him. Or he could just be hitting the "terrible two's".
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:19 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• um i tried just letting him do it and it keeps getting worse. um we talk to daddy almost everymorning on video chat. he makes funny faces at him and every he loves it. I think he just needs the male figure in his life right now but daddys not here so i need to figure away to let him know daddy will be home soon. And you have to start listening to me and stop picking on your brothe and all that i try to talk to him i dont think he understands quiet yet but idk its out of control
    armywife8805

Answer by armywife8805 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Have you tried to spend one on one time with him ( if you ever have this chance) , or you can do it while the younger is napping or sleeping. He needs attention and feels sad without daddy around, he doesnt' know how to express himself in a peacful way in his age.

I will just sit there and listen and watch him until he is done with his fits, i will give him a hug and ask him what is all about? I am sure we can get daddy on the phone, and you can tell him about it too.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Unfortunately the not listening part is completely normal for a 2 year old boy. Does he get to play outside much? Or with other kids his own age? Try to get out some of that energy in a positive way. Praise him like crazy whenever he does something good. Don't bribe him, but reward good behavior.

Above all make it clear that aggressive behavior is unacceptable. My children get an immediate time out, when they have calmed down, we talk about how it's not nice and it hurts when we hit each other, then they have to hug and apologize. If they refuse, then they get to go lay in bed or they are denied a treat. You have to be consistent. If you are videochatting daily then make sure Daddy is up to date and is also praising him for specific good behavior and talking to him about bad behavior. I doubt you get much time, but it may help if your son knows that Daddy is aware of what's going on at home.
    MidnightMama911

Answer by MidnightMama911 at 4:55 AM on Dec. 26, 2008