I need an attorney willing to represent me in adopting a boy who has been with me since birth. He is 10 yrs. old now.

I am on a low income disability and my son is disabled.
The social security said if I adopt him, I can get SSI for him. we are living on the bare minimum!
I need an attorney with a compassionate heart to represent me and let me adopt my child.
His biological mother was a crack addict and she gave up all seven of her kids. I don't know why she wont sign up her parental rights for this one. She adopted out the two youngest ones.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Adoption

• I would check w/ legal aid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Do you have any legal custody or any legal rights to this child? How long have you had this child? Do either of the parents see or have any contact with him? I am not too sure of your sitiuation. If you do not have the money I agree with the above posting check with legal aid. Or call around to find an attorney that maybe willing to help you.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• What state are you in?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Hmm....maybe I have his sister LOL! Sounds just like my daughter's Bmom. Call around to different lawyers in the phone book, call public aid and see if they have any numbers for legal aid that are cheaper or free. This sounds kind of odd to me...why doesn't she have any of her other children with her? And if you're raising him, do you have guardianship of him? If she won't terminate her rights on her own, and Child Services has never been involved, I'm not sure what type of case you would actually have here. Hopefully legal aid will be able to help you figure out what you can do.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 3:44 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• So, lemme get this straight....you wanna adopt him so you get more $$$$?
    Anonymous

• Quote - "So, lemme get this straight....you wanna adopt him so you get more $$$$?"
    She's been raising a disabled child for ten years. There's nothing wrong with wanting more financial help for that.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:04 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• if hes in foster care right now he should have a case worker that you could talk to
    how often does bio-mom see/contact him, you should be able to petion the court that gave him to you for adoption/termanation of rights

and anon7:59, what, exactly is wrong with a mom wanting more help for her son? i always thought a bad mom was one whose child needed help and she DIDN'T want help, not when she DOES want help
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 8:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's important that you let us know what state you are in. Maybe there is an Atty that would be willing to lend you a hand, but, where are you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Feb. 14, 2009