what should I do?

My son will be 2 in three weeks and he still acts like he's 1 he doesn't even put words together yet is there anything that I can do to help with his development?

Jasmommie

Asked by Jasmommie at 5:44 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its normal really different children develop at different times..i was told take your time and go slow with him dont get frustrated because then he will too take breaks as much as needed n dont force the rush.Good Luck!
    TN-FOOR

Answer by TN-FOOR at 5:58 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Call Early Intervention in your area and see about having him evaluated. They won't only look at speech, but at all areas. It may be he needs a little boost with therapy...it may be he's just a little behind. (there needs to be a severe delay in one area or a moderate delay in at least two areas for services)

I have two sons in speech therapy...one in EI with a severe delay and the other in CPSE with moderate delays in speech and fine motor skills.

My son with the severe delay didn't start talking at ALL until two months before he turned two.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I would look for some place that does free developmental checks if you don't have any health insurance otherwise I would set up an appt to see your childs doctor to discuss your concerns.

When I thought my son was behind there was a place in town that helped children out for free they did developmental checks in my home and came in as much as he needed to get him back on track
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I definitely mention it to your doctor, they can arrange some therapy for him if he needs it. He might even get free preschool education! Sometime, kids just little a more help or push to get started.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• He's probably fine. While most kids are starting to put words together at 24 months ("more cookie" being a favorite phrase), not all do and they are perfectly normal kids too.

Mention it to his doctor at his 2 year old check up. Mention any other concerns you have too... does he run well? Jump up? Follow 2 step directions (get your dump truck and bring it here)? Remember that most kids who are ahead in one area (like physical skills) are usually lagging in another area (like speakin). Also remember that boys usually lag a little behind girls - my daughter didn't start stringing words together until 23 months and now she talks constantly.

If there is cause for concern, your doctor will know who to send you to. If you are still concerned but your doctor says he is fine, look for a free evaluation in your area.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• For starters, don't baby talk. Speak to him like you would anyone else and encourage him to speak to you. I constantly tell my toddlers 'Let's use our words'. Don't let him get away with grunting and pointing when he wants something.

As far as helping him; Converse with him, ask him questions with open ended answers, read to him daily, play children's music and sing along, if he baby talks repeat back the words correctly so he can hear the difference. Ask him the names of things, point out things like body parts, colors, shapes, patterns, numbers, Anything. Encourage him to repeat after you. Count with him, sing the ABCs, let him watch educational tv (sin of all sins!). Anything you do you can be developing language and teaching him in the process. This has been part of our routine since day one and my 2 and 3 year olds both have excellent vocabularies, hope my tips can help you :-)
    MidnightMama911

Answer by MidnightMama911 at 4:19 AM on Dec. 26, 2008