Postpartum Depression

Well I am 18 and about to have my second baby, my son is 13 months and I am 37 weeks pregnant. When my son was first born I suffered from severe postpartum depression, so much so I wanted to just disappear! The first 4 months of my sons life were extremely hard on me, not only did I suffer from Postpartum but I had a colicky son who only knew how to cry! I am very worried history will repeat itself and i'll be sucked into the same black hole, do you guys have any advise? I don't know how realistic it is to say "I was depressed with my son, i'll be depressed with this one" but that's the boat I am in!! Is there any way to avoid this or at least deal? I don't want my 13 month old getting left behind or neglected cause mommie had another baby and can't seem to be happy :/

butterflymom112

Asked by butterflymom112 at 6:03 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• my main suggestion is to talk to your doc now. Mine gave me a prescription for antidepressants before I left the hospital since I have a history of depression and also post-partum depression.

another sanity saving tip for you - get them on the same schedule as soon as you can! :o) My youngest are 16 months apart and that sooooo saved my sanity! I even got my daughter only to take 1 nap a day after about 6 months so that she napped when big brother did. LIFE SAVER! You can only imagine the peace it brings to have 1-2 hours of quiet time for mommy during the day.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 6:24 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Definantly talk to your doc about this . If he says"lets wait and see" insist you want to get meds asap-you know yourself better than anyone. And don't feel bad about needing help, lots of women do, I know I sure did. I try to feel grateful that there is something out there, like anti-depressants -to help, can you imagine the time when women couldn't even talk about it? Good luck mama!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:33 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I am such an idiot to say that, but why you are pregnant again so soon again?
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Talk to your doctor about a prescription to start if you start feeling blue. Consider how you got there in the first place. It may have a lot to do with how you were challenged, tired, afraid, whatever. FInding a counselor to meet with for the first few months could be a could preventive. Also, if you don't have a great support network, especially one of moms like you and those a bit ahead of you to give good advice, you need to check it out and get it going now. Make a plan with friends and family or a helper to assure that you will have adequate rest and time for yourself. It's a tough adjustment when you are a new mommy and also when you add another child. You are wise to be prepared and to know that it may not happen again. Take one day at a time and use all of your resources when needed.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:20 AM on Dec. 26, 2008