• In the Spotlight:

First time newborn mom needs help!

As of today my baby is a week old. This is all new to me and my baby has a red butt rash. What do I use to get it to go away and to soothe it? Suggestions welcome. Do I need a prescription from the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask the pharmacist. There are over the counter ointments that you can put on diaper rash. It's been too long for me to remember what we used, and I'm sure there are better ointments out there now.

Answer by Bmat at 8:14 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Keep him as dry as you can. Change him as soon as he's a little bit damp. Don't use wipes, use a warm wash cloth with plain water.

If it's red and bumpy...kind of with white/yellow centers, it's probably a yeast rash. You can put Lotrimin AF twice a day, and a barrier cream with every other diaper change (destin, A&D or something like that)

If it's bad, give him a bath soak with warm water and baking soda twice a day (at least once) to take the acid out of it....let him go naked as long as you dare..LOL

Or...her. Sorry. I don't know if you have a boy or girl! lol

Do you "need" a prescription? Probably not, but by all means if you're that concerned give them a call!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:14 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Use Vaseline. There's this stuff called butt balm that works great! My son hasn't had a diaper rash since he was a week old with that stuff.
    Congratulations and Merry Christmas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• If it is a rash the shape and size of the diaper, your baby is allergic to the kind of diaper. If its just a normal diaper rash desitin always worked for me.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:46 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• well, i would try a+d ointment. that worked very well. its probly diaper rash. if it persists after about 7 days, tell the dr.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• my daughter is a week old and im going through the same thing except hers is in 2 little spots.i've been using desitin, but my fiance's family swears by vasoline or a&d ointment. and seeing how others on here suggested them i'd give it a shot
    axbeautifulxlie

Answer by axbeautifulxlie at 1:48 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• We use bag balm, it works wonders on bad diaper rash! You dont need a prescription for it, but you usually do have to ask the pharmacist to get it from behind the counter for you!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I wouldnt use Wet wipes..use cotton balls with warm water. You want to make sure that when you put ointment on the baby that he is completely dry before applying. Also, I was a A&D ointment queen for my 8 month old...my DR said to use Destin because there is 40% zinc oxide in the medication and it puts a think coating over there bottom so that the urine or poo wont upset his bottom. No worries...it will go away.
    THEWOLFS

Answer by THEWOLFS at 8:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Just keep trying stuff until it works! There are lots of great suggestions here! Butt paste worked best for my first. My second can't have anything on his bottom. I tried so many creams and they ALL made his rash worse-to the point of bleeding. Even the prescription from the doctor didn't do a thing. I just have to keep him dry and clean when he gets a rash. Anyway, I hope that doesn't scare you, it was just to encourage you to try until you find something that works.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:44 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• i have a almost 5 month old boy.. i freaked out when he got a rash too.. but what i did was wash him with just plain water and then put Vaseline on it.. i tossed the diapers for a little bit and used cloth ones until it got better.. cause its more breathable.. good luck!!!
    maxi169

Answer by maxi169 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 26, 2008