My 4 year old, are "accidents" normal?

My little girl has been having pee accidents with increasing regularity lately. She seems to wait until she has to physically hold it in. I've talked to her, but I halfway understand that she just may need to grow more. Yesterday, she had a bowel movement in her clothes. She was standing right in front of the potty. She said she was holding it and that it just came out. It was a normal not diarreah stool. She has a physical in a few weeks and I'm gonna ask about it. But I was wondering if someone else out there was/had going thru this and if you had any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is doing this alot lately. he stands in the livingroom and starts to leak and freaks out. i tell him run to the potty. he will actually debate which potty to use. we have 2, plus a kid potty. i tell him to just find one. he gets distracted. especially with new christmas toys. he just doesnt get there on time much anymore. he was doing so good. he is 3 1/2. glad to have a steam cleaner! sometimes just all of a sudden hes naked. i ask why and he'll tell me they were wet. he does it enough that he knows to put them in the laundry room. i guess you could keep asking her if she has to go, or remind her. i do this and he says no. 2 minutes later hes wet. you had a good idea about asking her doctor. they should be the ones know.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 27, 2008

• It is normal. One of my sons used to have an accident every time we went to a friend's house. I think it was the excitement. Perhaps your daughter can learn to get to the bathroom as soon as she feels the urge.

Answer by Bmat at 10:35 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Many children do that. What happens is this. They get really interested in whatever it is they are doing that they tune out everything. This includes listening to their body. When they tell you they have to go, they mean right now.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:27 PM on Dec. 25, 2008