with baby daddy

how do i get him more involved? he helped but acks scared.

LoveMyKacie

Asked by LoveMyKacie at 10:15 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• show him how to do things and tell him babys arent as fragile as they seem. my df was like that to begin with but hes very involved now. have him spend time with the baby. they get a lil freaked out for some reason lol. daddy jitters. they dont have the insticts we do. help him out and show him how to do things. hell get the idea and hell wanna do more with the baby.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Acts scared? Please, he is a big man, he can't be scared of a tiny little cutie pie. ( give me a break on it) Tell him that.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I would show him how to do something... and then have it be their "special thing". My our son was a newborn he was the one that got him ready for bed everynight... he would give him a bath, get his PJ's on and then rock him to sleep. it helped him get more comfortable with caring for him and he was very proud of their bonding time.
    So I guess, come up with something he can do for her and feel very comfortable with and he will get better at doing more for her.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:14 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Well, first of all you can stop calling him a "babby daddy". That term is so morally degrading. It's like an animal dad. It reminds me of the Lion King. Make him involved. Teach him how to bathe the baby. Teach him how to change the baby and then ask him to do it once in a while, if you feel comfortable by doing so. If men weren't brought up helping with children, it can be very hard on them to become a good dad. They have to have been taught that way. If he does not want to be involved, I am sorry, you cannot make him. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I just let my SO do it all on his own cuz I saw he was kinda scared handeling him so I just sat back and let him do it by his self without my help. He got the hang of it after a hole day doing it all by himself ;0}
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 12:16 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• It is true that someone can feel reluctant to do something unfamiliar, especially if they feel that they will be doing it "wrong" or will be criticized for doing it wrong. Unfortunately there are some things that CAN be done "wrong" with a baby, so demonstrating while you talk about it, or just talking a lot while you go about handling the baby, about what you are doing and why you have decided to do it that way, could help him feel more expert and sure of himself. ... I really like AmiJane's suggestion !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I have to agree...stop calling him "baby daddy." You may as well be calling him "sperm donor."

Call him "my child's father." Remind him, "You're this child's FATHER." It carries a lot of weight and responsibility.

Show him what to do. Let him know that yeah, he'll make mistakes. It's OK. EVERYONE does.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Dec. 25, 2008