Does a doctor have to refer me for a 3d u/s or can I set one up myself?

I'm entering my 31st week and I've only had an u/s done at week 20. I really wanna see my baby girl before she's born and I see a lot of people getting 3d u/s. Are they more for "fun" or to get a better idea on the baby's growth?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They're for fun and as far as I know no insurance covers them. Now if your doctor wants an ultrasound and his machine does it, he might switch over to 3D just for fun, but if you're wanting to go to one of those places that specialize in them you just call and make an appointment, then pay for it yourself.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:18 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• If it is medically needed insurance will usually cover it.
    We went to this place in Chicago (I know big cities have these places) where they do it for 80 dollars, we got 20 pictures, and a dvd with a recording of her heart. My OB's office did the same, but for 150. I wish I could remember the name of the place, cause i know there's more than one around. But it's amazing to see your baby's features.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• They looked really neat but insurance wouldn't cover it and it was a 30 minute drive to the nearest one and would have cost $250. So we didn't get to do it. I have heard some people are disappointed cause they went and the baby wasn't looking and they didn't get good shots and then they was out the money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Yeah, mine was $100. It came with 6 pictures, a DVD of the whole session, and guaranteed gender determination. If they couldn't tell for sure the sex, I got to come back for free. It was SO worth it.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 11:40 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• When I had my second child I had a 3d ultrasound done .It was in Pasadena CA. and it was so great.They mad of video of my son and I got black and white pictures and they told me it was a boy.It was a very upscale place.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• ummm ... please do your research. Remember when everybody had x-rays during pregnancy? LATER they found out the harm that caused. Yes, ultra-sound is routine nowadays (just like x-rays were back then), but there is a lot of alarm about effects on the baby and the womb surrounding her. For one example: being hit by the ultra-sound wave was shown to sound to the baby like a subway train roaring into the station ... and there are heat effects, too ... etc. Do research it. You can go to Midwifery Today magazine online and you can read their articles on many topics.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Waldorfmom.
    I'm going to school to be a radtech.
    The only way it will cause your baby to go deaf or cause heart murmurs is if you have one twice a week, your whole entire pregnancy.
    One 3d ultrasound will not harm the baby.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 1:05 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• they are not for growth at all. they will not do measurements or anything like that. its strictly for fun. you do not need a Dr to refer you, its not medical and your insurance does not cover it.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 1:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• it's standard at 20 weeks here and insurance covers it. The dr I went to has one in the office
    SHADOWVEIL

Answer by SHADOWVEIL at 1:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• They are for "fun" ..I got 3 pics for 50.00 at my ob. It was by choice only. The standard u/s was for develpmental purposes only. I would wait until around 35 weeks so the pic will be better and the baby will be "fatter"..
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 25, 2008