My 13 year old daughter just started her period and she seems not so happy about it. She is actually embarrassed by the fact that she started it. I remember when I got mine I was proud and felt like a women. She still wants to be a little girl. ---Is this normal???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• yep it's normal...not everyone is happy to have their monthly visit..and at times the first one can be a bit embarrassing.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• It can be embarrasing, especially if she's one of the first of her friends to start. I was proud to get mine bc I was late compared to my friends (15 years old)...so felt like I could finally join the ranks of the other girls! haha. But it's normal to feel that way too.
    aschwer

Answer by aschwer at 4:53 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• that sounds ok to me my ten year old is starting to grow up allso pimpals breasts and all @10 omg.
    audreymangels

Answer by audreymangels at 5:12 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Totally normal. I remember realizing...UGH THIS WILL HAPPEN EVERY MONTH FOR A REALLY LONG TIME!
    Anonymous

• I had the opposite thing happen. I was embarrassed and didn't tell any of my friends (they didn't tell either). On the other hand my daughter texted all her friends. We all have different reactions.
    invitetheparty

Answer by invitetheparty at 5:30 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I think some are embarrased and some are confused. There are a lot of hormones raging right now for her. No matter how close you are and what talks you've had with her get her a book. One that is factual but not overcomplicated that has in writing all the changes that are happening. The different feeling she may be going thru and that it is okay. My sister found one at Borders for her oldest. Her DD later told her mom that it made a lot of difference that she had a place to find answers w/o feeling 'dumb'
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i started when i was 12 and was so embarassed i didnt tell my mom for about 3 months....to this day my mom has never had a sex talk with me, so i didnt feel comfortable talking to her about it...i think you need to let her know that you will be happy to answer any questions she has and let her know what all you can think of....i agree a good book is a good idea...i wouldn't reccomend telling her to google stuff unless you want her to see some guy licking menstrual blood off a woman's crotch or something!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:25 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I was mortified and not happy. It was gross to me.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My 13 year old feels the same way. She totally dislikes it! It is completely normal.
    Mae5

Answer by Mae5 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 15, 2008