When your kid says the F word what do you do?

This is like on the movie "The Christmas Story" my 11 year old said the F--- word and i need some suggestions...Do you put soap in your childs mouth?cruel?What do you think?

kim168

Asked by kim168 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• Soap- very effective... my mom actually used Shampoo on us... nasty! And you can just smear it right on their teeth LOL My mom used a shampoo called Apple Pectin... and I have to say, it sounds yummy but by far the worst tasting stuff ever!
    I dont' think it's cruel... it's not much... and if it tastes bad enough, they think before they swear!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• When mine first "tested" me about swearing I completely went bananas. I started jumping around the room like a lunatic dancing and singing all the swear words. For about 3 minutes, they thought it was fun to say these "no-no" words. Then my oldest (she was about 7 at the time) stopped and said "Mom, you are such a dork." Then to her sisters "C'mon, lets go play Barbies" and they all walked away. Haven't had a swearing problem since.

I think that if you make it a taboo word then they are more likely to try to say it. If it's not off limits and made fun of it's no fun b/c they don't get the "uh-oh" reaction.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 25, 2008

• First you sit down with him no distractions. Explain why that is a bad word. We would tell our children that "uneducated people say things like that" also that "people who dont go far in life" and people who "dont know better words to use words like that". My husband and i dont cuss at all or watch anything with cussing in it. Our children dont know theese words yet but thats what we would do. No punishment until they cuss again just a heart to heart conversation. Remember you want to teach you children "do as i do..not as i say" My hubby and i belive that 100%
    Anonymous

• My son is seven and asks occasionally if he can repeat a word he heard in a movie or a TV show...the answer is usually no. He knows which words are not acceptable for a kid's vocabulary. I wouldn't put soap in my son's mouth. It's a word. It really depends how strongly you feel about it. Maybe you'll ground him, maybe you'll take a privilage away. If he's a good kid, I don't see the point in throwing the book at him, KWIM?
    Lizzysapisces

Answer by Lizzysapisces at 1:13 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• To: anonymous
    There's NO way I would call a person uneducated for swearing. Ever talk to a college professor? Your boss? You think the president doesn't swear? Swearing just doesn't have a place in a child's vocabulary. You won't go far in life? Why is that? LMAO, that's the most ridiculous, manipulative crap I've heard in a long time!
    Lizzysapisces

Answer by Lizzysapisces at 1:15 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I will talk first and if that doesn't work I give them a light smack on their mouths. It works for me.
    (I know....ooh child abuse)
    Anonymous

• Mine have never said it in earshot, or that I have heard about, and they are teenagers. Ever since they were very little, I have always told them there are no bad word; there are just words, and bad or inappropriate places to use them and people to use them around. And that while I do use that language, I would prefer they not get started or that they wait. And so far it has worked perfectly. My daughter is 14 and when she is told she has permission to repeat something, she will proceed to ask several more times if I'm sure it's okay for her to say it. And both of them will "MOMMY!!!" me when I say something.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:10 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• BTW, I have a high IQ and a great deal of education and I swear like a sailor. Have since I was younger than my daughter is now. And I know plenty of happy, successful, intelligent people with vocabularies that rival mine. Both in words in general and profanity.

They are just words. They only have power if you give it to them.

roachiesmom

• Haha my mom used soap and my dad used horse radish (that stuff is freakin NASTY).
    rockonrugby35

Answer by rockonrugby35 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• i dont do anything i swear and when i stopped they styop but i started again. it is my fauult they swear so why wopuld i do anything bad to them for it . I do tell them to stop but im not go to go crayz on them for it
    grumpyboston

Answer by grumpyboston at 3:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2008