what is good to break out of post partum depression

my daughter is 28 years old and just had her first baby on the 16 th of this month since then all she does is cry amd she hasnt really bonded with the baby , i took her out to eat the other day and i asked her if she missed her son and she said she didnt, and also she said she didnt feel that he was her baby , ive been helping her as much as i can along with her boyfriend who lives with, so can i get any advice for her .

pennysblueshoes

Asked by pennysblueshoes at 12:50 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well. i actualy did have that problem right after i had my baby. maybe have her see a psychologist. what i did was spent enough time with my dd and my b/f i also talked to people about it. that helps alot. tell her eat chocolate and drink coffee till she can see a psychologist. they release endorphins giving you the feeling of being in love. it helped me out alot. it made me a lil happier. then i got put on anti depression meds for a few months and then i stopped taking them. it went aay and my dd is 15 months now. tell her not to worry about it. alot of moms go thru this. if she needs any other help feel free to contact me.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I would have her see her doctor. She might need to be on some medication. With PPD it's terrible for the mom, because no one understands why she isn't happy... and she probably doesn't know why either. her hormones are all out of whack and her life has been turned upside down with a new baby... she is sleep deprived and is also feeling guilty about feeling depressed in the first place!
    Remind her that PPD is common and it will get better. That she isn't a bad mommy for feeling this way. And try to help her as much as possible.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:44 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• there is no shame in taking meds for this...women have been having this issue for centuries and just had to "deal". Get her some help, even if she says no-call her doc and talk to him so he can talk to her about it. DD and grandbaby deserve to have this be a good time in their lives...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:49 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• She needs medical attention. Take her in tomorrow! My mother had to force me to go. I knew I needed to go in but was too ashamed and too depressed to take that step on my own. The chemcial balance in her brain has been thrown out of whack and there is nothing you or she can do to "break her out of it" without medical help. Please, please, please - from someone who's been there - take her in tomorrow.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Please take her to get some help. I had PPD but not bad enough to need meds. I can sympathize because I am a person who is prone to serious bouts of depression. She really needs a psychologist who specializes in PPD. Please call her doc, but remeber that it can take a few weeks for the meds to take effect.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:31 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Exercise and sunshine help. She needs out of the house more often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Dec. 27, 2008