• In the Spotlight:

Is there anyone out there with or have heard of Interstitail Cystitis?

momof51998

Asked by momof51998 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Health

• According to the definition Interstitial cystitis (commonly abbreviated to "IC") is a urinary bladder disease of unknown cause characterised by urinary frequency (as often as every 10 minutes), urgency, pressure and/or pain in the bladder and/or pelvis. Pain typically increases as the bladder fills and reduces after voiding. However some patients report pain with urination, often in the urethra. Patients may also experience nocturia, pelvic floor dysfunction and tension (thus making it difficult to start their urine stream), pain with sexual intercourse, and discomfort and difficulty driving, travelling or working. Research has determined that the quality of life of IC patients is equivalent to those with end stage renal failure.

pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Yes, my mom had it.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I have had it for 15 years and am currently in remission after giving birth to my daughter 3 weeks ago. Feel free to send me a message with any specific questions you have and I'd be happy to try and help.
    shanny2032

Answer by shanny2032 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Interstitial cystitis (IC) usually does not respond to antibiotic therapy, because it is not caused by bacteria. In IC the bladder wall may be irritated, and irritation can cause inflammation, which creates discomfort on its own. Try to eat alkaline foods to bring your body pH into balance. Most of the inflammation happens when the body becomes acidic. Alkaline diet might help. You can learn more if you read the book Sick and Tired? By Dr. Robert Young
    Be well.
    Mamaherbs

Answer by Mamaherbs at 3:51 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• www.IChelp.org is the IC Association. I have had it for 5 years, what do you want to know? I could go on and on about what I have tried and what worked or did not, you need to follow an IC diet too! Please write to me and I will give you as much info as I can! God Bless you! Diane
    diane08502

Answer by diane08502 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2009