My husband is putting his son back into travel baseball even though we can't afford it. Am I wrong to feel that if we can't afford it and can't physically do our share to get the child to practice then maybe he shouldn't be playing? This is really causing a big strain on my marriage...any advice is appreciated.

jayeguice

Asked by jayeguice at 12:31 PM on Aug. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• There are too many unanswered questions to give you good advise.

Does the child really enjoy the game?
    Is his mom thankful for her ex paying the fees, and willing to help with the traveling and such?
    Would you feel negatively towards this if it was something your own child wanted?
    mas2124

Answer by mas2124 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Yes the child does enjoy it. His mother; however, doesnt pay any of the fees or the cost of playing. She doesnt even take the child to practice or go to any of the games. My own son isnt able to play travel ball (they are the same age) because we definetely don't have the money for two to play and also, my exhusband won't committ to helping get my son to practice or to games during his week, so therefore, he doesnt play. My son plays regular recreational ball that doesnt require as much money or travel.
    jayeguice

Comment by jayeguice (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Is his son going to get a scholarship from it?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Is it possible that you are feeling bad that your own son can't play (because of lack of effort from your ex) that you are also swaying more towards not allowing your step son to play as well? I mean don't get me wrong, I totally understand that finances and time do play a huge role here. But I would feel, if this was me, that by raising two sons to deny one something and grant the other it would display some form of favoritism onto your step son. It seems like your husband would not want to put you in a position such as this anymore than you would want to do that to him. I think both boys should play the same forms of sports. Its tough being a parent. Sometimes you have to tell you children No, sounds like "dad" is being pushier here and needs to hear no though.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Well, I've been told that he is playing regardless of what anyone has to say about it........so, even if I say no, I dont think it would matter.
    jayeguice

Comment by jayeguice (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Jayequice, I am sorry then. :( ...Its a shame that he can not come to a reasonable conclusion and discuss with you. Its almost like he does not want to even hear your very valid reasons for not wanting to do this. In our economic state right now people have to cut things and give some things up, it should not be such a fight to hear your side of the disagreement. Best of luck to you.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Why cant you talk to your husband about it and tell him how you feel about it
    edhs

Answer by edhs at 5:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2011