What type of Pill best for birth control for a 16 yr old with least amount of side effects?

I have read about Ortho Tri-cyclen & Apri -- good & bad stuff. I know all have side effects, but if moms of girls that are on something -- pls share your thoughts. I am really torn about this. My 16 yr old is not yet sexually active, but is planning to be --- oh joy!!
Thanks,
Tina

StressedMom15

Asked by StressedMom15 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It's different for everyone. At that age, I tried Tri-cyclen, and I was in horrible pain with my periods, so bad I couldn't stand up. I changed to Modicon, and the pain was gone. I could only take monophasic pills. My best friend did great on triphasic pills though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• First, congratulations on having such a wonderful relationship with your daughter. My youngest had great success and little to no side effects from Cryselle
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 12:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• I took Ortho Tri-cyclen when I was 16 and I never had any problems with side effects. I have known several people who use or have used this brand, and I havent heard of any problems. I also know many people who use that new Yaz, but personally I like my medications to have been on the market for many years before I take them so that there are no surprises. Never heard of the Apri.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 12:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Each pill has different hormone levels and mixes. So it really depends on her body chemistry and how it reacts to the chemistry in the pill. Don't be afraid to try one and switch if it is causing side effects. I've taken Othro Tri-cycline and got "morning sickness" for 2 days of each pack. It was awful! Switched to one and it caused bloating and more cramps than usual. Switched again and found one that works. I take Microgestin now. It's about $25/month and works like a charm.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• OK,
    I am going to be the party pooper here, so sorry in advance
    I tend towards depression during my cycle (mild PMDD) and the pill just aggravated it-
    I was never able to find a low enough dose that didn't Literally make me want to slit my wrists
    For birth control I prefer the VCF, she will have to remember to use it but the chemicals in the pill scared the hell out of me

Just another opinion from the peanut gallery
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• You'll have to ask her doctor. Sometimes it takes trying quite a few before you find the right one. The generic of the pill I'm on had me suicidal, the name brand is great. just watch her carefully and ask her how she's feeling.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• At that age I was on Ortho-tricyclen. I am on the generic of Yaz (Gianivi or something like that). You should discuss this with her doctor. There are many different kinds of pills with different levels of hormones.

Good for you for being proactive and having an open relationship with our daughter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Apri is generic Desogen...in my pharmacy the most popular brands for teens were yasmin, Yaz, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and the Depo shot... Nuva ring is great for girls that dont have a problem touching themselves
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:16 AM on Aug. 17, 2011

• That is between your daughter and her health care provider

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2011

• I would go with the depo shot. Then you wouldnt have to worry about them forgetting to take a pill and also...its got minimal side effects.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 2:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2011