car seat preparation...

SO I AM 36 WEEKS AND WE HAVE THE CARSEAT AND STROLLER COMBO BUT IT IS STILL IN THE BOX. WE WERE OVERLOADED WITH BABY ITEMS IN MY ROOM (ME, BOYFRIEND AND BABY ARE SHARING 1 ROOM). SO WE HAVENT ASSEMBLED THE SET YET. I ALSO HAVENT BECAUSE WE TAKE MY LARGE DOG FOR RIDES IN THE CAR AND I DIDNT WANT HER HAIR ALL OVER IT. SHOULD I ASSEMBLE IT AND BUT A COVER OVER IT? OR JUST WAIT UNTIL I AM CLOSER?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 1:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would do it soon because labor is very unpredictable. You could go early OR late and you wont know until the time comes. Call your local health department, fire department, or county hospital...usually one of those is a great resource for installing and properly securing car seats. Requirements can vary from area and state so checking with your local expert can ensure you are legal and ready to go :) Our fire department did demos and installed for both our kids... I was even able to go back after my son turned a year and make sure his new seat was in properly.  As far as the sweet pooch, try throwing a blanket over the seat in your car until the time comes?  Or perhaps you can put the seat in the closet and just leave the base in your car :)  Hair should wipe off the base fairly easily.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 2:05 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I'd do it now...my third son was born at 36 weeks.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:18 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I had mine assembled in the house ready to go when my daughter was born.... since we had no clue what vehicle we would come home in... and after almost 14 weeks of labor (off and on) she came at 36 so I would go ahead and do it just keep it covered and I washed the cloth carseat cover that comes with it
    singlemama20

Answer by singlemama20 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I would just in case the baby comes early
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 4:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Definintely put it together. You don't know when you will go into labor. I would also go to the local police station to have them check it if you aren't comfortable with the job that you did installing. I am so anal when it comes to carseats. I put it in and then sit on it or use a knee with extra weight on the seat and then tighten the belt or anchors. When you are done the seat shouldn't move at all. Good luck Momma I hope that labor goes fast for you. Merry Christmas.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I put mine together and since I have cats I put some stuffin the closet and some on top where the cats couldnt go anywhere near it and it was ready by the time we went to the hospital we knew excatly where it was and took it with us. wish you a happy delivery.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 11:46 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• put it together now but don't install in car till your in the hospital;hubby can do that while your in there.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 1:08 AM on Dec. 26, 2008