How do you know when it's time to cut your ties with family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• Only you can decide what to do, only you know how much you can deal with, cutting ties with family over an argument can be resolved. Mental and sexual abuse I would have no problems cutting them
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 1:54 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• personally i think a blood relatives have less leeway in regards to abuse
    they should be your primary support system and if they can't do that they have to go
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• when they suck all the energy from you - drama causing - if the relationships are completely one sided - its just like cutting ties with friends except you are related.. I would never keep family around because they are family.. mean and wrong is mean and wrong no matter how you sugar coat it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• Your family or with a signifigant other's family? I think that if they disrespect you or make you feel less of a person than it's only reasonable that you would not want anything more to do with said family.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 1:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• When you feel like it's damaging your mental health or your family, and by that, I mean your immediate family - you, your husband, your kids. They have to come first.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• From what I've read, you should cut off ties from them. I had to do this with some of my family members because it was just oo much drama and I had anxiety attacks. I understand they are your family and it will be hard at first but eventually you will realize you feel so much better without them or the weight of their drama.
    misanthropic

Answer by misanthropic at 3:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• cut ties with anyone who brings you down. healthy relationships should help you, not hurt you. a good friend, be it a parent, sibling, SO or friend should help you to be a better person. Not everyone gets a good family and I'm sorry yours is abusive. I would cut ties.
    zetajen

Answer by zetajen at 1:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• I had to cut ties with my brother last year. We've never been close, so it's not like I'm missing anything. I take that back; I'm missing the drama, lies, stress and bullcrap. His drama has ALWAYS interfered with my life and last summer was the final straw. ( Long story) I had to cut him out of my life for my mental and physical health. It still bothers me but not nearly as much as it used to. The thing that bothers me most is how it upsets my mother that my brother and I aren't speaking, but I'm not going to crawl on my hands and knees to apologize to him, when I didn't do anything wrong. He has made me miserable my entire life and I cannot deal with him anymore. I sorta know how you feel about not having a relatioinship with your nieces; since all this crap hit the fan, I no longer have a relationship with my nieces and nephews. However, since I already live 550 miles away from my entire family, it's not like I miss seeing
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• them on a regular basis anyway. I look at it this way: the truth ALWAYS comes out and eventually, and hopefully, one day, the rest of my family will wake up and realize what a toxic person my brother truly is and that he's not worth keeping ties with.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2011

• There is completely cutting ties and then there is avoiding drama. I love my family but there are some members I just don't have THAT much to do with. I also live forever away from everyone.

You don't have to completely cut them out of your life if you still want to be involved at times. You just don't HAVE to be so involved with them. If they are abusive, why put yourself through that so often?
    FitAlyse

Answer by FitAlyse at 2:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2011