I have a 13 month old son, and he still does not sleep through the night. He wakes up at least 2 times a night to be breast feed. I have tried to do other things but nothing helps.

He sleeps in our bed
he is breast feed at night
he is still on a bottle to take naps

Prakalicious

Asked by Prakalicious at 3:21 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You'll probably need to transition him from the family bed before anything else. There's a great article on this on drjaygordon.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:22 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• As long as you are right there, he will use you as his soothie to get back to sleep. How you deal with that is up to you... move him to a crib, have him sleep on the other side of your husband instead of between you, wear a sports bra to bed are some suggestions.

If you switch him to a bottle, make sure it has water in it. Do that for the nap too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• He needs his own space and so do you mama! At 13 months he is using you as a pacifier. Transition him to his own bed-it will suck for a few days but he will be fine. Then switch him to bottle only at nite, if he refuses lay him back down and try again in a few minutes. If he is truly hungry he will eventually eat. Make sure the bottle you give him to fall asleep with is water, juice or milk will rot his teeth, can cause alot of other probs too.You have to stick with it-even if it takes weeks. I promise if you do-he will be fine.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• We decided to stick with our 1 bedroom so we can continue saving for a down payment. Which makes it tricky. My daughter always starts out in her crib but ends up in our bed.I started sleeping on the couch & DH got up with her at night. There were times she would insist on coming into the living room to find me (she figured it out pretty quick). It was hard but we stuck it out. Most of the time she would wake up, drink a water, & go back to sleep. I wouldn't nurse her until it was time to get up for the day. Since I wasn't there, she didn't think of nursing as much. After awhile, she only woke up once a night & I sleep in our family bed again. It took a month but it was worth it. If she wakes up at night, I can rock her back to sleep. Don't ever nurse him to sleep (even for naps). He may think he needs to nurse to get back to sleep. Good luck
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• There are lot of different options here. I tried many things to try to get my child to sleep through the night without waking and needing to breastfeed. However as a last resort, at around 10 1/2 months, I used the cry it out method at night, meaning I picked a night and said I will no longer feed you during the night. He cried almost all night, and it was brutal. This training went on for a really really long time, about 3 weeks. Most people say it only takes a couple days, but I found it much more difficult. Ultimately now at 15 months, he cries much less, rarely only several times a week.

However, I also belong to a breastfeeding and toddler group, and there are "attachment parenting" moms that would ask you why you want to change this situation. They are strong believers that your child will stop breastfeeding when he is ready, and he will transition to his bed when he is ready.

Good luck, whatever your decision.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I'm all for co-sleeping but the breast is #1 a soother and #2NOT sustaining enough. One of the reasons a baby sleeps through the night is formula.....it stays with them longer. Why don't you breast feed during the day and use the bottle before bed?
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 12:47 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• If you really really want him to stop. You should put him in his own bed and let him cry. It took us about two weeks to get our daughter to sleep in the crib at 5 months. And then another 2 weeks of crying for weaning boobs at 9 months. She also woke up twice a night to nurse before being weaned. After she was weaned, she slept 12 hours through the night no problem. It's stressfull but well worth it. Are you Only nursing at night and not during the day? If you are, that's just a comfort thing for your son. And you should let him learn to self soothe at night. It'll help in the long run. Do whatever feels right.
    c_juanita

Answer by c_juanita at 1:01 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• my son is 2 doesnt sleep thru the nite is in our bed so we dont sleep thru the nite my advice would be after almost 3 yrs of torture is break youre child now before its too old to fight back. train youre baby to sleep in its own bed. if youre not right there they may just lay down and go back to sleep if not id get up feed the bottle and put him back in his own bed to go back to sleep. ive got to try to break my son very soon when we get moved and am not looking forward to it.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 4:08 PM on Dec. 26, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER IS 18 MONTHS OLD, AND SHE STILL WAKES UP THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL
    k10ann7

Answer by k10ann7 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2008