What do you do to keep your toddler socialized?

I have a 2 year old daughter and 5 month old son. My daughter is such a joy. She is also incredibly smart. She is kind of shy though. I worry that as a busy stay at home mom, I'm not giving her enough social experiences. We have play dates and such, but my dd sticks by me at them. She acts very shy around the other kids. I try to have people over, but with 2 moms hovering, the kids really don't get much done. My dd wants me with her ALL the time. I plan to homeschool my children, but I know this is a challenge me have to overcome before that time so that my children are happy and good with people. So, what do you do to make sure your child has enough social interaction with other kids? Also, we do go to church Sundays and Wednesdays, and my dd goes to her own class with other kids. . .

Senae

Asked by Senae at 3:49 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, your daughter is still kind of young... I would tell you just to be patient with her, she will social up with age. At this point in a child's life, mom is still pretty important.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:00 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• We had an organized play group, but the little ones had to be potty trained. Each week one of the moms had the group of children over for 2 hours. There were maybe 5 children (they were about age 3). Each mom had a specialty. One mom did songs, one read, I taught exercises, one did painting, plus there would be some free play time and a nutritious snack. It was more of a formal experience than just play time. The moms dropped the children off and picked them up, the moms did not hang around to socialize. So this may be a way to get the little one around other children but not the hovering mom's.

Answer by Bmat at 4:03 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• LOL my tot has a younger sister, and an older brother.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• We go to Kindermusik and a Story Hour provided by the local community center. It's "mom-&-me" but there are kids and activities so once they're comfortable they interact and have fun with kids their own age.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Rolly Pollies for gym classes, we're getting a membership to the Y where they can take some classes (swimming, play group, gym, etc) my oldest is in preschool, my second is going to start going 2 days a week for a couple of hours. We have a playgroup we can attend through Parents as Teachers (a national group.... www.parentsasteachers.org ) and my oldest (he's 4) also has science class, he did baseball last summer and just finished a soccer clinic.

There are also reading groups at the local library, moms groups...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:14 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I don't do anything special. She has 3 older siblings so socializes plenty with them. When it is warmer outside she hangs out with all the neighborhood kids (they are all 6+ years old). And she plays with her little friend once in awhile (she just turned 2).
    She'll be taking some classes at our park in the spring so that will get her around kids her own age.
    Otherwise I'm not worried.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:06 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Hi! I am a Kindermusik Educator in Minnesota and I think that Kindermusik is a wonderful way to socalize your child. Our programs encourage parent/child bonding but also give you and your child a venue where you can interact with other children and parents in the same stage of life as you.

You can get more information at www.kindermusik.com or contact me.
    Kara
    Karamae

Answer by Karamae at 4:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009