What's the best way to keep bath toys clean??

Our kiddos got a GREAT bath toy set for Christmas. I usually just buy the cheapy squirts to toss because they are so hard to clean... What's the best way to clean this new set?
Ps- I don't have any idea on a category for this! :-P

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 4:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2008 in Health

• Ya, bleach and ammonia scare me with kids too...I stick my kids bath toys in the dishwasher, but you have to make sure you squeeze all the water out and let them dry, otherwise mold can start to grow inside (especially if they are ducks or other sqeezie ones).
    bekah305

Answer by bekah305 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Perhaps soak in warm water with a glop of ammonia?

Answer by Bmat at 4:12 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I run mine thru the dishwasher. It works fantastic.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 4:29 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I read in one of my baby books to wash them with 1 part bleach & 15 parts water
    tinykelsie

Answer by tinykelsie at 4:32 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• If you have a diswasher, they have the packs & the liquid that contain bleach which may do away with any mildew. If you run them through the wash every few days you may be able to keep the mildew at bay that way. I always lay Kelsey's out on a towel after her bath so they can dry quickly and have never had problems that way. If you want to go a "greener" route, maybe occasionally soak them in a bowl of vinegar overnight and rinse.
    smizzell

Answer by smizzell at 4:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• Bleach and ammonia freak me out a little :) I usually wash our tub in vinegar and baking soda unless it's REALLY having a rough time... But the kids eat off stuff from the dishwasher so that might not worry me. It doesn't melt them?
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:34 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• i part AWESOME and 10 parts warm water...rise well but i do like the dishwasher effect too!!
    TN-FOOR

Answer by TN-FOOR at 4:45 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• I would definately suggest the dishwasher if they are dishwasher safe. I used to throw everything in there, including my sponges!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:09 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• 3/4 tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon of cool (not hot or warm) water. Just let the toys dry with the bleach solution on them. Its the universal germ killing method. (its exactly what Clorox hard surface is made of) That is what child care centers use as well:)
    Dishwasher is a good suggestion too!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:35 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Top rack of dishwasher unless you feel the material will melt or mangle the toy.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:36 AM on Dec. 26, 2008