Is a teenage boy at the age of 13 too young yet still to go by himself ? ?

There's a street party soon and he doesn't want to stand there and listen to music he wants to go do stuff.Should he go by himself? This answer will help at the upcoming fair too oh he does ADHD and ODD but he is smart

peachies02

Asked by peachies02 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I would try it out at the street party and let him know that it is a test of his sense of responsibility. Set up times for him to check in with you, etc. The street party shouldn't be so big that you could lose track of him and freak out. Then maybe move on to letting him be on his own at the fair.
    MissesV

Answer by MissesV at 6:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The question to ask yourself is, do you trust him to go by himself. You know him a lot better then any of us and you can answer the question. Plus, another good question to ask yourself, are you ready for him to go by himself? I know when my daughter hits that age, its going to break my heart and I'll be asking the same question!
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 2:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• He should go with a friend and they should stay together, you know, the buddy system. He should be clear about where you will be and you should agree on a time for him to check in with you.
    that way you will both have peace of mind and he will gain confidence safely.
    chrysalis12481

Answer by chrysalis12481 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Does he have a cell phone, or do you guys have a spare cell phone he can borrow to get in touch with you quickly if he needs to? If so, it might make it easier to let him hang out on his own or with friends..... We have hubby's old phone to give to the kids when they are going somewhere.
    glendam

Answer by glendam at 2:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My answer is different from everyone else's. I don't think he should go out of eye sight.There are so many predators out there these days. Things happen in bathrooms, behind things, in things, everywhere, not to mention the kidnappings. 13 is a bad age for kidnapping. I, too have a 13 year old with ADD. He's smart and very much in control but he wouldn't be aware enough, big enough, or be able to think quickly in a situation that could be dangerous. We've just always heired on the side of caution. It's good for families to do things together. I know they may complain but they always end up enjoying it and it's brought us closer and brought a lot of joy with our 2 boys. These lines we have to draw can be so hard to decide on. God bless!
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 9:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008